Forum home Wildlife gardening

Woodpecker on the birdfeeder

BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,912
We don’t see woodpeckers that often round here so this gave me a buzz just now

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,077
    Great picture what a treat to get one so clearly.
    AB Still learning

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Wow I've had one a while back and it made me late for work watching it 😂
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 959
    We only see them when feeding peanuts in the winter. lovely birds.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,978
    Isn't it great to get something unexpected in the garden.😁
  • We have a family of woodpeckers (parents and offspring from last year and this) and they love both the peanuts and the fat balls.
    Both are popular and the birds eat so much  that I have to refill the fatballs - all of them - nearly everyday!
    I'm a bit concerned that it's a bit like Mc*****d's for birds. One of the woopeckers is so obese that when seen from behind you can see his white tummy on both sides at once!
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Lovely picture
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,022
    Do you think if I hung up a peanut feeder I could persuade our resident woodpecker to stop raiding the walnuts?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,734
    Nollie said:
    Do you think if I hung up a peanut feeder I could persuade our resident woodpecker to stop raiding the walnuts?
    Do the research and let us know ... then if we are ever asked that question we’ll know what to say ... ✔️ 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,200
    You have walnuts this year?  None here and quite a few people I know have none either.

We had two tribes of woodies in our Belgian garden - the fat ballers and the peanuts - and great activity would esnue when parents form both factions came to introduce their young to the easy food supply.  Babies up and down the posts and on the trellis panels and a lot of noise and posturing when they clashed.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,022
    Yes we had a good crop of nuts this year, probably 50/50 in the human/woodpecker consumption. There is probably not enough left now to make an accurate scientific study as to the relative appeal of walnuts, peanuts and fat balls, so I will try it next year.