Forum home Problem solving

Dahlias - OK to cut down before first frost?

c_watkinsc_watkins MonmouthshirePosts: 53
Hello!

I have a couple of dahlias in great bloom at the moment and here in South Wales no frost forecast yet... I've just been told the spring flowering bulbs I've ordered are on their way (a week early) and I need the space where the dahlias are to plant the new bulbs.
Is it OK, if I have to, to pull up the dahlias before they are blackened by frost? Could it affect their growth for next year?

Many thanks for your help. 
Cheers, Chris 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    Don’t think it’ll do them any harm .... but you could pop them in a big pot/tub or something ... that way you’ll get the best of both worlds. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,273
    I agree, won't do any harm. Even if you can dig them up and prop them somewhere before cutting them down after the frosts. Against the shed? corner of a border? that sort of thing
    Devon.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,992
    It's not a problem digging them up early,  do you have somewhere you can store them (upside down) to dry off ?
    Some advice here
    https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-lift-and-store-dahlias2/
    As Dove says, if you've got some suitable pots you could enjoy the flowers for a little while longer  :)

• c_watkinsc_watkins MonmouthshirePosts: 53
    Thanks everyone for replying so quickly, I'll dig 'em up and put them where I can, very good idea and thank you AnniD for the link.
    Not today though... We have Welsh Weather today 😁
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Hostafan1 said:
    I agree, won't do any harm. Even if you can dig them up and prop them somewhere before cutting them down after the frosts. Against the shed? corner of a border? that sort of thing
    👍👍 
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    What spring bulbs you putting in mate 
  • c_watkinsc_watkins MonmouthshirePosts: 53
    I'll be putting in Iris reticulata and Allium, maybe some daffodils.