Forum home The potting shed

RESURRECTED 85

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    Oh lord. That reminds me once of a toe curling moment in a small office I once worked in when in my twenties.

There was me, the world’s slowest and least accurate typist (in the days of carbon copies, not word processors), employed to carry out ad hoc duties such as filing, a pretty young lass who could type at 2000 words a minute and who was the PA to the boss, and a gawky young man of about 17 with bad acne who was a sort of dogsbody/gofer.

One day, the boss brought in some sort of flatpack filing cabinet thing. The young man had been sent out to buy sandwiches or go to the post office. So I tried to assemble this object with the help of the other girl but eventually gave up and left Miss Efficiency to it.

Young man returned. Saw the construction project was in its final stages. Happened to look down at the floor and picked something up.

Without thinking, he held the object up and said, in all innocence, “Do you want a screw?”

I am ashamed to say that my guffaw caused him to turn bright red and to bolt from the room in agony.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,224
    PF
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
     :)  the poor lad Pansy.
    SW Scotland
    Honey fungus, Chive.

In Italy they eat them.😝
    My flat pack stuff arrived a bit early so I grabbed the opportunity to get out into the garden and cut back some stuff. It is like a quagmire in my garden and once I had filled up two muck buckets to take to the green bin I stopped as it was becoming increasingly treacherous under foot.
    Chive those toadstools are wonderful - such lovely colours - despite their bad name.
    Here is a picture of some I found growing in my garden this afternoon.

Ooh, they look like those little self adhesive nipple covers you can buy for slinky backless dresses.

Needless to say, I no longer wear slinky backless dresses, the effect from the rear now would be of a melting pile of ice cream, but I do still have some of the little patches, the adhesive probably long past its sell-by date.😁
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    I never knew there was such a thing as a nipple cover.  My education has been lacking in that respect.  Too old now to bother thinking about slinky clothes
    SW Scotland
    Me either Joyce but as I have never aspired to slinky, backless dresses I haven't felt any need. I am most comfortable in jeans - always have been. Well apart from my hippy kaftan period.
    You ladies have been missing out!

But why would you want to cover them up??