Forum home The potting shed

RESURRECTED 85

Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 29,735
Image result for beautiful Autumn images
Carry on chatting!

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 29,735
    Link back to RESURRECTED 84 in case you missed anything!

• RubeeRubee Posts: 6,151
    That is such a lovely story Pansy . Very heart warming . I would hate to farm . I could never kill anything myself . As LB says ,any animals I would have would expire of old age .
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,499
    Ooh, aren’t pumpkins lovely?

Well, they mostly are. I bought one of those huge pale grey jobs a few months back. Didn’t know where to put it until we got round to eating it. We eat very little and a pumpkin needs a plan. So I used it as a door stop in the kitchen.

It was such a good door stop that I forgot all about it.

Until a week ago when I came down in the morning to find that it had blown its top. Literally, the stalk had shot up into the air and landed several feet away. Turns out that the seeds had begun to germinate and then to rot and then to ferment.

As I picked it up, the bottom “plug” fell out and the wooden floor was flooded with some weird soupy stuff. The sort of thing that indigenous forest dwelling tribes might make for a knees up when a visiting dignitary is due to arrive.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    PF - . That reminds me of my one attempt to make ginger beer. I followed all the instructions carefully and left it in a cool place. It obviously carried on fermenting and I began to have misgivings when the metal bottle tops started to acquire a domed look which alarmingly increased in size over a few days. I had to ask my brother to come and take the tops off as I was too scared it would blow up. The ginger beer fountains were a joy to behold!
    Oh yes. Been there with the old ginger beer.

Ours was brewing in the airing cupboard.

It went nuclear as we slept one night. The towels, sheets, duvet covers, pillow cases......😖
    Image result for Eek imagesEeek PF
    I know.

Some people do housework willingly. Some people need a bit of a kick up the backside. 😁
  • RubeeRubee Posts: 6,151
    My brother in-law  made his own beer and wine as we did . Brother in law  liked strong beer .He read that the more sugar you put in the beer  the stronger it became .  He had a plastic barrel that held 40 pints .One brewing session he went too far with the sugar .During the night they were woken by a loud boom . When my sister in law went down to see what had happened .She found the beer barrel empty ,the top of it was shredded and all the beer had been injected into the ceiling by the blast . That was a very costly mistake . The whole of the ceiling had to be taken down and replaced . That story was brought out regularly at family gathering .
    😂
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Love the colours of the pumpkins LB. We went to Canada in October of the year I retired and the doorsteps of the houses were all decorated with pumpkins. Much nicer than a lot of tat.

Visitors have just left and the rain has started.  We had the tv on for the second half LB. :'(  
    SW Scotland