Forum home Problem solving

Hosta Dying or Wet

2»

• Same here,sprayed liberally with Neem oil, as I had frogs to think about,but the snails and slugs still got them,they looked awful,so I cut them down to the ground and they came on again for a second go, I read somewhere that youd could do this.  Still got shredded though,they are destined for a nice drink of bleach and boiling water.......I give up with them now!😕
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • I am sure the hosta is fine as everyone has suggested it is now time for these plants to finish off for this year, starting up again in late Spring.  Could you check that the drainage hole isn't blocked up and the excess water (rain perhaps) can drain away rather than rotting the plant.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 50,371
    I'd agree - it's just the time of year, and unless there's a specific reason for it to shut down earlier [ie - you live at altitude or similar] there's nothing to worry about. The foliage can get very slimy if you have a lot of rain.
    I've given up on them. I can't be bothered endlessly getting rid of slugs - it's a neverending saga.
    Bad enough keeping them off plants I really want to protect  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,053
    Bleach and boiling water??? @Valley Gardener. I take it you have given up on them 😀. I don't blame you as nothing works apart from the dreaded blue pellets and that's not good for frogs.
    SW Scotland
  • LynLyn Posts: 21,414
    I was only talking about the one I’d given Dove, the dark green one, the leaves are very tough and the slugs don’t chop them. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Luckily my two hostas are on the hedgehog trail to their food dish, which does help to keep the hostas looking almost pristine and I am not sure if it is because we use wood chip or why else that the slugs don't attack our hostas either.