Forum home Problem solving

Hosta Dying or Wet

It ain't looked like this before.Any help appreciated.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,543
    It's closing down for winter.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • wazza63wazza63 Posts: 59
    Ok!
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,133
    As the leaves go slimy just put them on the compost, the whole thing will disappear soon.   You say it hasn’t looked like this before, have you managed to keep it in the green in previous years?  
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• wazza63wazza63 Posts: 59
    Lyn said:
    As the leaves go slimy just put them on the compost, the whole thing will disappear soon.   You say it hasn’t looked like this before, have you managed to keep it in the green in previous years?  
    First season never had hosta before thanks for the reply
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,543
    As it's in a pot you would do well to make sure the pot is sheltered from extreme cold and wet this winter.  I take mine into unhetaed shelter and start watering lightly again in spring as the daffs show their foliage.  Bring the pots out again when the bullet shaped shoots start to show.  I sometimes think watching those shoots show and slowly unfurl is the best bit of hosta growing.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,062
    I’d always found hostas a bit boring until I got to
    know them in their gorgeous autumn colours ... fantastic yellows 😎 ... they’re beginning to look beautiful just now ... hopefully the soggy wet weather won’t cause this stage to be over too quickly.   
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Mine are turning fast, very wet here. 
    Did the one I sent you take Dove? I can send another if it’s a better time of the year? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,062
    Oh it’s fantastic @Lyn ... it’s done really well this summer ... it’s not changing colour yet 

yours is front right in this pic. 
    Look at the gorgeous colour of Fire & Ice at the top left of the pic. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Brilliant, they don’t get slugs eaten so much as the others. 

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Lyn said:
    Brilliant, they don’t get slugs eaten so much as the others. 
    Mine were eaten terrible by slugs this year as I tried organic friendly to wildlife slug pellets for the first time. I can confirm they are friendly to wildlife as they don't even kill slugs