Forum home The potting shed

Music to Garden (?) To....

• SuesynSuesyn South Somerset Posts: 445
    Nothing better than hands in the dirt and birdsong in the ears. 
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 1,579
    Not necessarily music to garden to, but music I like to listen to while relaxing in the garden. I’ve always found that music has a very big impact on me. It changes the way I perceive things, it gives an underwater-like quality to the air, the movement of surrounding trees and plants seems to take on a different meaning. There’s almost a palpable quality to music and I think of it as a life companion. 

Arvo Pärt - My heart is in the Highlands
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NL2I0lbgiuI

Arvo Pärt - Vater unser 
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J2OFdEUhgpA
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 1,421
    I'm not a classical music aficionado, but I heard some of Arvo's stuff on radio 4 years and years back and really liked the 'feel' of it. It has/had a strange haunting sound for me. I have a couple of his works - Fratres and Miserere. For me, those works are more indoor, lights out, headphones on, immersive stuff - but I can follow how you feel when you listen to the tracks you said outdoors.

UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    Unfortunately, one of our neighbours thinks that we should enjoy their music while we garden. Or rather, just the bass notes. For hours on end.

Why do they think they have the right to pollute the environment with this endless, invasive mental torture?

If there was anything that would ever drive me to kill someone that is it.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,146
    pansyface said:
    Unfortunately, one of our neighbours thinks that we should enjoy their music while we garden. Or rather, just the bass notes. For hours on end.

Why do they think they have the right to pollute the environment with this endless, invasive mental torture?

If there was anything that would ever drive me to kill someone that is it.
    All noise emanating from someone else is Noise Pollution.
    Don't even start me on wind chimes !
    Devon.
    Dogs barking, kids playing, bees humming, birds a chirping, water fountain gurgling...and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Our road used to be crammed with kids as it's close to the local schools - and I miss that in the garden when I'm out there now - the sounds of kids playing and arguing - ours used to make a noise. The odd dog (very odd dog) barking. But any sound is intrusive when it's incessant. Strimmers, lawn mowers, power tools, cars on the main road..
    I don't think my garden is ever quiet. My sis' used to be - but she lived miles from anyone in Lifton/Tinhay in Devon.

steveTu said:
    Dogs barking, kids playing, bees humming, birds a chirping, water fountain gurgling...and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Our road used to be crammed with kids as it's close to the local schools - and I miss that in the garden when I'm out there now - the sounds of kids playing and arguing - ours used to make a noise. The odd dog (very odd dog) barking. But any sound is intrusive when it's incessant. Strimmers, lawn mowers, power tools, cars on the main road..
    I don't think my garden is ever quiet. My sis' used to be - but she lived miles from anyone in Lifton/Tinhay in Devon.

Lifton is close to us. 
    We very occasionally have total silence in the garden, but usually there's bird song .
    A guest once described nighttime as "Blindingly dark and deafeningly quiet"
    Devon.
    My sis' husband's family bought an old cider house up the road opposite the Fox & Grapes in Lifton as a holiday home back in the day - that my BIL then bought off his family and moved into with my sis. They lived there during the 70s/early 80s - my sis working at the Arundel Arms and BIL at the Ambrosia factory. Great place for me to go for holidays and breaks - so peaceful - BUT - vastly toooooooo quiet for me as a place to live. I'm not a city lover at all, but I do miss the sounds of kids playing and even the hum of the traffic (that your brain filters out!). 

total silence is such a treat.
    You can never create it , but it's destroyed in a  split second.
    Devon.
    I find it's the sharp noises that your brain can't filter that annoy me. Typically it's the boy racers, with their exhausts doctored on their cars or motorbikes, that destroy the tranquility. Most days I become totally oblivious to the constant hum of the cars.