Forum home The potting shed

Music to Garden (?) To....

• steveTusteveTu Posts: 1,386
    .and you're talking about 'good' and 'bad' in the way of music and you come from the land of the bagpipes....?! A pigs bladder under an armpit, connected to a few bamboo stalks with randomly drilled holes purposely made to make discordant sounds? Now Johnny Walker was a 'good' DJ eh?

UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,700
    steveTu said:
    ....  Now Johnny Walker was a 'good' DJ eh?

🤨Still is ....

Well, Johnnie Walker is 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

edited October 2019
    @Fairygirl !!! Have you got R2 on right now???

James Taylor’s Handy Man .... one of my all time favourites ... 🥰 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

When I was young - back in the day - around 16/17, there was a group of us who all liked the same music. We'd all left school after our 'O' levels and started work at 16. In the town was a record store, Sounds Unlimited, that stocked all the latest US imports - and had a local DJ (a bloke called 'King' Jerry) who worked in there. It was also a boom time for 'good' (?! - intentional) black (no offense intended if that is deemed as offensive) music. So one evening we'd all get tickets to see Harold Melvin up at the Fairfield Halls in Croydon - good sound but a bit of an impersonal venue for my tastes - so we all jumped into my mates Ford Anglia and wended our way up there. Can't recall who the supporting acts were, but the concert was grand anyway - with the typical crush down at the stage with the loonies bopping and singing along with the stuff. Then just as the night was winding up, we saw Jerry and started chatting to him. He had some form of pass and was going backstage. So, we watched him as he approached the side door, quoted some record label and the name 'Arthur Sheriff' or some such and got passed through. So being the gauche bunch we though '...we can do that..' and approached the door as a group..'...CBS...Arthur Sheriff...'. Unbelievably, the doorman let us through as well and we ended up back stage with Harold (I now call him 'H' as we're like that - imagine crossed fingers) and the band. We chatted for a bit, and they then said they were heading into Town (big T Town - Londinium) to go to the 'Q' Club in Praed Street and did we want to come along. This was insane. So, we jumped back into the Anglia like a bunch of  over excited schoolkids on Christmas Eve and headed up to Town. How we found Praed Street, let alone the club, I don't recall. But we were there... OK - so now we had to get in. Maybe I'm making this up or it's just grown with age, but the way to get in was down some stairs - and the doorman said it was a members' night - so we explained that we'd been invited by 'H' - and he then agreed for a £5 each we could have a temp  membership and come in. Now in those days I earnt £12 a week gross - and I gave a third of my take home to my mum - so £5 was insane - but we scraped together enough to get us all in. Right...Yeah... Ok.. We headed straight to the bar - and it was only toooooooooooooo obvious we were the only white boys in there. Hmmmmmm. A half dozen 17 year old white kids ...... A pint later we left. Never saw 'H'. The most expensive pint I've ever had. Looking back, why did we leave? My claim to fame.... so if anyone sees 'H', pass on my regards - and ask him if I can have my £5 back........

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,061
    I was out walking @Dovefromabove, and had it plugged in  ;)
    Lovely, lovely James.  :)
    I'm actually half English @steveTu, so I can say my dislike of the pipes is down to that. They didn't originate in Scotland anyway  ;)
    Although - there is nothing finer than a lone piper, in certain circumstances  :)
    Re your fiver- is it not us Scots that are meant to be tight?  :D

Rather nice was hearing Elton, on Tracks, talk about his Dad liking George Shearing.
    He was an old chum and contemporary of my Dad's, way, way back, and a superlative pianist  :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Heard the first instalment of Elton’s autobiog this morning on R4 ... well worth listening to. 👍 

Is that a Sottish head and an English heart or vice versa? Or even split like a ying/yang?
    I thought the pipes were Egyptian/Greek or some such weren't they? And tartan was also an 'import' from the Celts and was blown into a fashion trend in the 19th century.
    Actually, I quite like the sound of the pipes. I was even joining in with the Welsh singing for the football last night. Now that's what's needed - that Welsh sound of the choir with pipe support...Even the Maoris would be scared.

The £5 was 1973 (?) - which in today's money is at least £52,436 2s 6d ha'penny...or there abouts.

I'm sure Harold, if he was still alive, could afford to reimburse you   ;)
    # If You Don't Know me by Now is a truly glorious thing.  :)

I can't remember the whole 'origin of tartan' malarkey, but, yes - 'we' adopted it as our own. Ach - no one else would have wanted it in a gift, Steve  :D
    The Greeks and the Egyptians probably invented everything really. Smart folk...

I think there's almost nothing finer than a good Welsh choir. Superb. 

Next you'll be telling me that Wobbly Blowback's gorn'n'bin'n'gorn.....
    edited October 2019
    Hate to spoil your day @steveTu :D

I'm off now, to do something productive. Can't sit around all day chit chatting  with you old folk.... :D