Forum home The potting shed

Music to Garden (?) To....

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,350
    I'm not even going to look at that @steveTu ;)
    Been listening to James since I was about 12. Which is quite a few years ago  :D

Here's your useless pieece of info for today [you may already know it -well documented] - Taylor Swift was named after him. Her parents were big fans.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,743
    I always think of the song I've seen tom Jones sings when my missus wants something doing outside on a frosty morning ☺☺ baby it's cold outside 
    Surely you mean 'Green green grass of home'
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 1,585
    I never got into music like that - I like songs, singers etc, but steered clear of the (not sure how to put this) 'idolisation' - 'celebrity'. Some of my friends could quote backing band names, shoe sizes...blah blah, but I just liked 'my' music. Saw loads of good stuff in the 70's though - I think James Taylor actually played Brighton Dome back in the 70's (I think my sis said she saw him there) - but at that point all my music was 'black' (can I say that nowadays?) - so he passed me by - but I have  a few of his albums now.
    I don't blame you for not playing that track - my wife hated Wobbly Blowback with a vengeance - she didn't like the 'screaming'.... but taste in music is the same as taste in anything eh? Peculiar to each of us - neither good, nor bad...just 'our' taste.
    UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
    That's very true @steveTu, but there is unbdoubtedly bad and good in music.  ;)
    I have varied taste, but the singer/songwriter is probably my greatest love, and it's good to see a little surge in that again with people like Ed and Tom Odell. James tours relentlessly, although I missed seeing him last year when he toured with Bonnie Raitt.   

I always listen to Tracks of my Years on R2 with lovely Ken Bruce, whenever I can, and it's always fascinating to hear people's influences. It's Elton this week [another favourite] and he's picking the  Four Tops' #I'll be There. That's a song and a half  ;)

Radio 4 until Ken's Pop Master, then back to 4. I ripped all my music - so then listen to 'my' stuff when I'm in the kitchen, outside, in the shower, sunday mornings .... Just made a playlist of all the covers I have - so Bobby and James' versions of Fire & Rain are on that (they're the only two artists I have that do that track) - not sure that my software was 100% correct though, as I don't think Paul Simon's America is the same as Santana's - but it was good listening to them back-to-back!
    Do you really think there's good and bad music? Isn't it all taste? My wife liked The Beautiful South and also hated the 'tone' (it set her teeth on edge!) of Jnr Walker's saxophone - but are they 'good' or 'bad' - or just her taste?
    I heard Ken say that way back - he was doing his usual '...pre-popmaster put the punter at ease...' chat - and he asked what music the person liked and the person said 'blah'..and Ken then said something like '..oh, you have good taste in music...' presumably because it happened to coincide with what Ken liked - but did that make it 'good'? Like whatever you like, dislike whatever you like. You wouldn't take somebody telling you that to not like strawberries was bad taste would you?

I'll go with Duke Ellington - it's a famous quote of his.
    'There are two kinds of music. Good music and the other kind' 
     ;) 
    I'll just say - could you honestly say that Aqua's 'Barbie Girl', or Paper Lace's 'Agadoo' is on a par with...well...almost anything else ever recorded :D

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,690
    Harvester of Sorrow - Metallica.

Probably not for most of the GW crowd, it’s actually about the misery of drug addiction but I find humour in the irony of gardening to it.
    Tin pot said:
    Harvester of Sorrow - Metallica.

Probably not for most of the GW crowd, it’s actually about the misery of drug addiction but I find humour in the irony of gardening to it.
     :D 

Fairygirl said:
    I'll go with Duke Ellington - it's a famous quote of his.
    'There are two kinds of music. Good music and the other kind' 
     ;) 
    I'll just say - could you honestly say that Aqua's 'Barbie Girl', or Paper Lace's 'Agadoo' is on a par with...well...almost anything else ever recorded :D
    ...but someone likes them!... someone liked the Bay City Rollers and David Cassidy and Metallica and the whole of punk...and I like Wobbly Blowback - [M|B]illions don't...Taste is what makes the world interesting - if we all had the same taste in everything, what a bland world this would be (and I'd still be on the shelf!).
    I know what you're saying @steveTu, but just because some people like them, it doesn't make them good - it makes them 'popular'  :D
    Don't start me on the Bay City Rollers. I still remember Johnnie Walker getting hauled over the coals for his comment about them. They made me ashamed to be Scottish :D

Anyway - I'll leave you to it. I'm off to listen to Ken. He's playing #Don't go breaking my heart. Have you ever seen Bernie Taupin's face when asked about that song? Priceless   ;)