Forum home Tools and techniques

Raised beds and compost cost

2»

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,171
    Smudgerii said:
    Fairygirl said:
    Hi @brian stoatthe only thing to remember is that the straw will rot down, so the level in the bed will also do that.
    Soil levels in raised beds tend to sink a bit anyway, especially over winter, so bear that in mind. If you can get the bales in soon, leave them exposed and let them rot down a bit before adding anything else  :)

The problem with leaving them exposed is germination..  the bales will rot whatever method is chosen.  imo best to bury from the outset and deal with the ‘sinkage’ as and when required.
    Maybe in a warmer area.  ;)
    Good point though - a layer of something not too hefty on them would solve the problem, and then fill up in spring. It will settle and sink no matter what though.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,620
    A more robust solution might be hugelkultur. Basically a layer of logs buried under the soil. It will take a lot longer to rot down and shrink than straw bales.
  • All appreciated thanks.

We’re going with straw bales and will immediately cover them with the compost we dug out of the old veg beds; then top up with manure and new compost and wait for it to sink through the winter before putting anything in next year.
    cheers
    Brian
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,886
    You can sow a green manure crop on the top if the soil will be left bare and then dig it in before you want to plant them up in the spring.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • Excellent idea Wild Edge! I’ll have that thanks 😊 
  • SmudgeriiSmudgerii Posts: 185

My straw wall going into full bloom 😂
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    morning all...

We’re building some new raised beds using landscape sleepers; and need a cheap way of filling them. 

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers
    Brian
    If you don’t need 70cm depth of growing medium, build troughs instead of raised beds.

Straw bales just delays the problem, methinks.
  • It’s chiefly to do with a change in levels Tin Pot. We’re extending a deck and need the beds to protrude to a workable height; which has a knock on with the depth.
    Thanks though👍🏻
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,171
    That's an impressive 'growth' @Smudgerii :D
    Most of my raised beds are at least a couple of feet - 60cm in new money. I used any old stuff that was lying around here, to put in the bottom. Because I put in a new boundary fence when I moved in, and the bulk of the garden was grass, with some gravle and paving, I used a lot of the turf which I removed from the areas I was going to have borders. It took a while to do, but was worth it  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....