Forum home Tools and techniques

Good value pots for bulbs

My aliums and dahlias were savaged by rabbits  over the summer, so I need to invest in a lot more pots to keep bulbs etc protected.

Pots are extortionate! I found some very good value Yorkshire Flower Pot co. Pots at Yorkshire Trading in early summer - but I think I cleaned them out! 

Any other ideas for where you buy good value large pots? Terracotta or galvanised pots/dolly tubs. Online or north Yorkshire. 

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,779
    What sort of size do you have in mind? And what sort of price? Good value can mean different things!
  • KmehKmeh Posts: 116
    I'll probably out myself as being really stingy! I bought those pots I mentioned for between £4 and £8. They are various sizes (50 × 25, 40 × 30, 30 × 25).  So want bigger- say 50 x 40?

I just need them to be frost resistant as I'm pretty far north. I realise galvanised can be a lot more expensive- so any tips where I can find cheap ones. 

Thanks!
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,260
    Why not try Freecycle or similar? 
    I got rid of some large pots on there a year or so back. No harm in putting a request on there  :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,658
    edited October 2019
    I'd get big terracotta ones and then protect them with varnish or PVA glue [you can get that in large containers from DIY stores too] Some are surprisingly cheap in those DIY sheds.

They last longer if you do that. I still have some which have been in the garden for four or five years. We have a lot of fluctuating temps in winter, which is a bigger problem than just cold alone, as it's the wet followed by a freeze which makes them crack.
    Galvanised containers are fine, but be aware of using them in summer as they heat up. I line mine to prevent that, but it depends how and where you use them too. I got big ones in IKEA for about a fiver each, but I don't know if they still have them, as that was many years ago. 

You could make containers yourself if you have any woodwork skills - lining timber with plastic [old compost bags are good ] gives you a lot of scope, and is inexpensive. The problem with rabbits is - the containers need to be high enough, and placed where they can't use something else as a 'ladder'  
    Bricks would do the same, although you can't move them around so easily  ;)
    Another idea is to buy an old table of some kind, and put containers on that. You can disguise it with other things to make it attractive. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• KmehKmeh Posts: 116
    Thank you! Great tips 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,274
    I too use terracotta pots protected with up to 3 layers of acrylic varnish, inside and out.  Stand them on feet for winter to improve drainage and reduce water absorptionn thru any bits you missed.

OH has found me old terracotta pots at the recycling centre and you mmight also find suitable containers at car boot fairs - old laundry tubs, old dustbins etc.  Think beyond a classic pot.  Galvanised containers can heat and cool very quickly so line the inside walls with some bubble wrap to reduce the speed of fluctuations.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw