Forum home The potting shed

Islamic gardens "Going back 3000 years" according to Monty

1457910

Posts

  • SlumSlum Posts: 306
    Some may find this concise history of Islamic gardens interesting: https://thefrf.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/A_Concise_History_of_Islamic_Gardens_01.pdf

    It suggests that Islamic gardens have some elements that can be traced back 5000 years, well before Islam itself was created. I got the impression Monty was speaking about the origins of the gardens rather than the religion.
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,558
    Slum said:
    I got the impression Monty was speaking about the origins of the gardens rather than the religion.
    Far too sensible...the original comment had a slight whiff of islamophobia reading between the lines. Of course his reference was about the current group of people that keep that Eastern gardening tradition alive...not difficult to assume as a shorthand for a piece to camera. Anyway...enough already as I don't think the original pearl clutching was actually genuine. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    amancalledgeorge said:
    Slum said:
    I got the impression Monty was speaking about the origins of the gardens rather than the religion.
    Far too sensible...the original comment had a slight whiff of islamophobia reading between the lines. 
    Maybe I'm really thick, but I didn't detect the slightest hint of Islamophobia from ANY of the posts in this thread. Maybe it's just you?
    Devon.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,429
    Hostafan1 said:
    amancalledgeorge said:
    Slum said:
    I got the impression Monty was speaking about the origins of the gardens rather than the religion.
    Far too sensible...the original comment had a slight whiff of islamophobia reading between the lines. 
    Maybe I'm really thick, but I didn't detect the slightest hint of Islamophobia from ANY of the posts in this thread. Maybe it's just you?
    How is it anything-phobic to pick up on a major inaccuracy in a statement by a presenter?  Unless it's deemed to be Montyphobic to make any criticism. :D
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,429
    OK, I may have over reacted to Papi Jo and the meaning of the term lost in translation.  Having a brother who had that term attached to him after receiving serious head injuries does make me sensitive to its use.  Using the term as I interpreted was not just branding an entire nation, but all those who went to school before the country adopted the metric system, as mentally deficient.  I suspect there are many people on here who automatically still convert metres to feet/yards, and centrigrade to fahrenheit.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    I only used metric when surveying a garden, but I'm 6ft tall and weight myself in stones and pounds, but I never , ever use fahrenheit
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,926
    I was taught imperial. I measure fabric in either imperial or metric ... sometimes both ...I cook using either form of measurement ...  but do you think I can ask the butcher for metric amounts of meat? Can I heck-as-like 🙄 

    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh







  • I too didn't pick up any hint of phobia ( islamic or otherwise ) in either KT53's post or any other.
    The usual definition of Phobia is a morbid/ irrational/ aversion or hatred to something. I personally can't see any of these definitions applying to a style of garden.  You can dislike a style of garden but that's about it surely ?
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,709
    I chop and change between the two systems all the time. For technical drawings and most other measurements and weights I use metric. I use centigrade but can convert to fahrenheit if I remember the formula. I’m happy to use feet and inches and if someone uses them I’ll use them back - that’s only polite! I am now converted to the use of kilometres, but still understand miles. But like @Hostafan1,my own height and weight is always imperial and I have no idea what they are in metric.

    And I didn’t detect any Islamophobia either KT3. I’m really sorry to hear about your brother, that must be tough.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,327
    They tried to teach me Imperial when I was a kid, but I thought it was stupid and refused. I still do.
Sign In or Register to comment.