Forum home The potting shed

Islamic gardens "Going back 3000 years" according to Monty

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,699
    Thanks @Dovefromabove and @Obelixx for your support in trying to explain my intentions in my post (now deleted by myself in response to @KT53 's reaction).
    I only meant gentle teasing, but it was all my fault that I misused the word "retarded", not realizing that it was an insult. Dove is right that I intended to use the word as meaning "delayed progress". I should have known better.
    As mentioned by @Obelixx the Imperial units were closer to everyday life (especially life in the country) and as such more "humane" than scientific. And I do appreciate that for a number of older people (can I say "older" without it being taken as an insult?) who have been brought up with the older system, it's only natural to measure their everyday world in inches, feet, etc.
    However, as rightly pointed by @punkdoc , the non-use of the International System of Units can be the source of serious problems when travelling abroad and/or in a scientific context, as shown here: http://mentalfloss.com/article/25845/quick-6-six-unit-conversion-disasters.

On a lighter note, in the course of searching the Web for references to systems of measurements when I wrote my original post, I came across a most interesting page on the site of The University of Nottingham, which lists a number of older English units.
    Did you know that at some time in the past 3 barleycorns were worth 1 inch? I didn't!

PS.- Hope you found my explanations inch-perfect. Do watch out for that lovely mile-a-minute vine in your garden.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,922
    No problem @Papi Jo 😊 
    ... we don’t agree about everything, but I think I understand you well enough to know that you wouldn’t intentionally insult all of us over here on this increasingly isolated group of islands 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,483
    Very well put @Papi Jo
    Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • B3B3 Posts: 14,721
    Mile a minute has got as far as next door's garden😯 god knows where the roots are. I can see it running from a  good hundred yards away - even scarier in metres😮
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • This thread seems to have headed off in a strange direction!

Back on topic, well GW related at least, I thought the MD/RDT segments were superb.  Someone mentioned unscripted programming earlier and this clearly was just two friend talking about gardening and life.

Monty on his own can come across as a bit of a lecturer and none of the other presenter combinations really hit it off for one reason or another, mainly large egos I think!  But this was relaxed, informative to a degree and very open and honest. 

Anyone else feel the same?
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,952
    edited October 2019
    Yes, l agree @1634 Racine .
    Rachel's comments about gardening helping her while she was going through treatment,  and her realising that it doesn't all have to be perfect and "just so".
    l would imagine that struck a chord with many people who are going through a difficult time for whatever reason.
    I enjoyed her bulb planting session with Monty, it did seem very relaxed and unscripted , just two friends indulging in some friendly rivalry :)
    I look forward to seeing the pots in Spring. 

• Definitely good chemistry between Monty and Rachel there. Exact opposite to when he was presenting with Joe Swift (Chelsea Flower Show this year). Now that was so uncomfortable to watch. 
    Glad Rachel is back, hopefully there will be more of her next season. 
    Did he say the next programme will be the last for this year? Well, that’s how you know it’s winter 🙁
    Surrey
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    After watching virtually every episode of  GW faithfully for over 40 years, I've finally given up on it. I've not seen about half of this season's programmes and can't say I've "missed" it. 
    Devon.
  • I must say there was a lot of “fast forward” this season. 🙁
    Surrey
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    I must say there was a lot of “fast forward” this season. 🙁
    Exactly. I found I was using the FF button so much, watching it became a chore which I can easily live without.
    Devon.