Forum home The potting shed

Islamic gardens "Going back 3000 years" according to Monty

• B3B3 Posts: 14,722
    Bearded iris. Chuck it on a rarely used crazy paving path in full sun to be picked up and composted later and forget about it. Next time you look, it will have rooted😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,707
    Missed PJ’s post, the only clue being ‘retarded’.  Curious... but only mildly.

I love history. I am fascinated by entomology. I value nomenclature to assist in appropriate plant purchases. I like plant facts, but non are applicable to every location, climate and growing conditions. Use of brain and own experience required for the latter. 

If the presenter of a lifestyle programme uses the probably more widely-understood term ‘Islamic garden’ (inadvertently or not) to refer to a 3000yr old style of garden that the wider Islamic world later appropriated and developed from an earlier culture, so what? Its just a garden. Hardly fake news to rival what’s going on in the wider political world. It’s not holocaust denial. It’s not life threatening. Chill!
  • B3B3 Posts: 14,722
    It takes me ages to look up words in a dictionary as I get side tracked by the origins.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,924
    edited October 2019
    @Nollie 😊 Papi Jo’s post was a gentle tease about the UK still being one of the very few countries still using the Imperial system of measurement. No harm intended and I’m sure none taken except by the most thin-skinned of us 😊 

@B3 ... I do the same ... there are so many fascinating alleyways and byways out there. ❤️ 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,429
    I don't see the joke in referring to a nation as retarded, whatever the context.  To then make it worse by claiming not to mean the UK is simply making matters worse to me.
    In a message to me he claimed only to be referring to the USA and Liberia,  when the original post specifically referred to 3 countries.

edited October 2019
    I believe that English is not Papi Jo’s first language, and I understood the word retarded was used as per it’s dictionary definition of ‘delayed progress’ (eg ‘this material has been treated with a fire retardant’) ... rather than the unpleasant and pejorative colloquial and outdated usage implying that someone is of limited intellect. 

As as I said, I believe that only the thinnest of skins would’ve been prickled 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,886
    Have to say I never miss a chance to tease the French about the metric system when they complain about imperial measurements (used in patchwork, for example) being complicated and illogical.  I point out that imperial measurements relate to the human form - inch being related to thumb joint size, then feet, yards, chains, furlongs related to ploughing capacity plus pounds, stones etc.

I also tell them the metric system was introduced by Napoleon because even a numerically challenged Frenchman can divide by 10.   Any country that still counts 70, 71, 72 as being 60 10, 60 11, 60 12 definitely has a handicap when it comes to mathematical calculation.

Generally speaking, they get my point and find it amusing.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Exactly ... gentle teasing amongst friends. Nothing to take umbrage about. 😊 

• nicktennickten Posts: 105
    Has anyone been to the Aga Khan garden in Kings Cross? I saw bits of it when I went to a teaching conference and it was impressive but a bit sterile. Are there any really good examples of this style in the UK?
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,707
    Oh me too @B3 and maps - I can spend days lost in maps, especially old ones.

Oh ok, retarded in that sense, I did have a snort at retarded cement here, until I realised it meant slow to set.  The Spanish still use pulgadas (inches, a pulgar being a thumb) particularly in reference to the size of their plumbing parts. 

I often retard on the sofa for a siesta, book in hand, setting slowly into a state of torpor. Talking of which 💤