Forum home The potting shed

Islamic gardens "Going back 3000 years" according to Monty

• Not particularly a fan of Monty Don so can't say one way or another.  
    You're right tho - opinions should be clearly stated as such - much as advice given on this forum. Factual evidence can be a bit harder to come by unless there is incontrovertible proof to back it up and that usually involves a bit of research on behalf of the enquirer.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,483
    Did he actually say there had been Islamic gardens for 3000 years, which would clearly be wrong, OR, there had been paradise gardens for 3000 years, which would not be wrong.
    Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,429
    punkdoc said:
    Did he actually say there had been Islamic gardens for 3000 years, which would clearly be wrong, OR, there had been paradise gardens for 3000 years, which would not be wrong.
    Definitely said "Islamic".  Most of the time I only half listen but that statement was so obviously wrong it screamed out at me.  A bit like somebody saying they live in a 17th century Victorian house.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,708
    Is there documented proof that people 3000 years ago called their gardens Paradise Gardens?  Paradise, Islamic, Persian... all three are terms associated with a particular style of garden (not that I personally think Monty’s is particularly redolent of any of those terms, what with that stipa and the verbena bon). Saying Islamic style would have been better, perhaps, but if he is delivering unscripted content to camera I for one can forgive him as we all know what he meant. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,886
    Paradise - the word - is an old Persian word used to denote a walled enclosure, usually royal and well before the Christia era.  It then entered Greek and Latin and came to English from the French.   Beng a middle eastern concept of gardening to create a cooling space in a hot climate, the form was naturally adopted and adapted by the great Islamic civilisations in Iran, Turkey, north Africa and Moorish Spain which only really developed power and wealth in what Christians call the Middle Ages and later.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,708
    Interesting historical and etymological lesson Obs. Still not that bovvered wot e calls it an am shoor most uvvers arnt eyver  ;)
  • nicktennickten Posts: 105
    I watch GW for the plants and gardens so don't care if the history or nomenclature is a bit off, same reason I wouldn't be bothered if Beard misidentified a miscanthus.
  • B3B3 Posts: 14,722
    Well I find etymology fascinating. Thank you @Obelixx😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,886
    Pleasure @B3 and @Nollie.

@NIckten - I suspect nomenclature's importance will dawn on you when you try to source a plant or product using the wrong name.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    Obelixx said:
    Pleasure @B3 and @Nollie.

@NIckten - I suspect nomenclature's importance will dawn on you when you try to source a plant or product using the wrong name.
    or find out something we're told gets to  " 5 or 6 feet tall" only gets to about 3 ( knautia macedonica) " 10 - 12 feet" ( fennel )  or " dig a hole 6 inches deep and plant it "  ( bearded iris )
    Devon.