Forum home The potting shed

Islamic gardens "Going back 3000 years" according to Monty

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,709
    It’s all too easy to blame the presenter, when so much gets left on the cutting room floor and the factual accuracy of the programme is up to the editors. I remember working on a bbc book programme as a student and was sent off to interview authors - pertinent sentences, without which the meaning of their words were often completely distorted, were always being expediently edited out. Even when I delivered the exact 30 second length requested. Grrr. I would argue my point, but rarely won, then I had to put up with the authors giving me an ear bashing! Monty may be a tad more famous than my lowly student self, but he will still be in the same position, I bet.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,926
    edited October 2019
    And he’ll be given instructions ... a 4 second piece to camera here ... a six second piece there ... and unscripted. 
    Some folk here seem to think that MD is the producer/director/commissioning editor rolled into one. That’s not how programmed are made 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,886
    Maybe the dogs find MD's presentation styli is sometimes just too soporific.  I know I often do.

There was a case of advice from Mr Beardshaw on when and how to prune a hebe when  GW was from Berryfields  years ago which people followed and then wondered why their hebes didn't do well.   It led to pages of dicussion on th ethen GW forum.   I and another poster were lucky enough to ask him about it during a chat at his Chelsea garden in 2007.  It was bad editing that cut a sentence or two and thus lead to the demise of several hebes.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,327
    And he’ll be given instructions ... a 4 second piece to camera here ... a six second piece there ... and unscripted. 
    Some folk here seem to think that MD is the producer/director/commissioning editor rolled into one. That’s not how programmed are made 🙄 
    I didnt realise it was unscripted, hadn’t thought about it until I saw “Unscripted Productions” at the end and wondered.
  • dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 687
    Tin pot said:
    I didnt realise it was unscripted, hadn’t thought about it until I saw “Unscripted Productions” at the end and wondered.
    No, I hadn’t realised it was unscripted either.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,429
    "Unscripted Productions" is the name of the production company, not necessarily the way they always work.  There's a film company called "Dreamworks" but that doesn't mean everything is done when they are sleeping.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    KT53 said:
    "Unscripted Productions" is the name of the production company, not necessarily the way they always work.  There's a film company called "Dreamworks" but that doesn't mean everything is done when they are sleeping.
    Touché 
    lol
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,926
    It is pretty obvious to anyone whose ever had any involvement in making tv programmes that the vast majority of MD’s pieces to camera for GW are in the main part unscripted.   Planned out yes, but he’s not using autocue. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I would imagine this is how fake information makes the rounds - not always the fault of the expert/presenter/reporter - more often just bad/unfortunate editing.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    A lot of what he says is factually inaccurate, autocue or otherwise . 
    He gives his opinions as if they're facts ,and they're not always the same
    Devon.