Islamic gardens "Going back 3000 years" according to Monty

KT53KT53 Posts: 3,502
On tonight's GW, Monty said that Islamic gardens go back 3000 years.  How is that possible when Islam came into existence around 700 years after Christianity?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,657
    Maybe there’s been confusion around the naming of a cultural style which pre-existed the religion?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,561
    Even so, MD should know better.  He's done enough viists to hitoric gardens and styles over the years.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 871
    edited 11 October
    First garden described as a Paradise Garden circa 400 BC, Persian gardens existed since about 1000 BC.

Why so grumpy?  Perhaps another mug of cocoa before bed?
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,502
    Tin pot said:
    First garden described as a Paradise Garden circa 400 BC, Persian gardens existed since about 1000 BC.

Why so grumpy?  Perhaps another mug of cocoa before bed?
    Not grumpy.  Just picking up on glaring errors in the programme.  What have Persian Gardens got to do with anything?  If any mention had been made of Persian gardens that might be relevant. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,561
    I don't think it's grumpy.  I don't see why MD shouldn't be expected to be accurate in his terminology, just as we expect him to use botanical names to identify plants rather than common names.  I should think the legendary Hanging Gardens of Babylon were a Paradise Garden but Islamic they were not.

Hot chocolate sounds like a plan tho.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • TinyGardenGIrlTinyGardenGIrl Posts: 150
    edited 11 October
    In an earlier and separate series about Islamic gardens he talks about how they got their inspiration from Persian gardens which came into existence thousands of years before. It seems he is assuming that his audience has watched those earlier pieces he presented , which obviously they have not . Maybe he should have just clarified what he meant. But I assume this is where this statement from.
    I still admire him though.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,464
    Maybe Monty did clarify but it got left on the cutting room floor so they could fit more Nigel time into the show?
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 439
    so they could fit more Nigel time into the show?
    Those bloody dogs all they do is lie comatose on the floor 😂
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,093
    Lieing comatose on the floor, sounds good to me. :)
    You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,657
    punkdoc said:
    Lieing comatose on the floor, sounds good to me. :)
    ... with an apple 🍏 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh