›

Vine weevil grubs

I am emptying out my pots & hanging baskets of summer bedding for winter. I usually put all old compost into composter, but this year I have noticed vine weevil grubs in pots (& no roots on plants). It is ok to put old compost into composter, or will grubs survive? Do I have to take old compost to council recycling tip?. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,657
    I spread it out on a plastic sheet on the lawn and let the birds have them ... they're caviar for birds ... then I put the compost on the veg patch. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,806
    I am paranoid about vine weevil grubs ! Personally l would make sure l had as many of the little blighters as possible and take the lot to the tip.
    We don't seem to have as many birds around as Dove, and l can imagine them making a bid for freedom if l left them on a sheet.
    I'm not sure if they would survive in a domestic compost bin? 
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,882
    I'm not recommending it, but once I tried microwaving vine weevil infested compost. The smell that emanated was not worth avoiding the trip to Wilkos to buy new compost!
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,140
    Don't put the infested compost on your heap. the grubs will hatch into adults and then you are just compounding the problem for the future.
    Even after letting the birds get at it, I would be very reluctant to re-use it. Just one missed grub can lead to hundreds of future adults.
  • If you have nothing better to do, tip all the infested pots into your wheelbarrow, rescue any plants ( always check the roots thoroughly as they  burrow into the core ) and then start sifting the compost with your hands. Be aware that whilst some grubs may be easily visible, others are quite tiny.  Discard any grubs into a tub or better still, a Chicken waiting patiently next to the wheelbarrow ensures an instant Bye Bye !
    If no handy Chicken, it's then up to the individual - put out for the other birds or squish them.
    Somewhat time consuming but satisfying and the compost can then be re used rather than being discarded.

• B3B3 Posts: 10,238
    They're awful wet when you squish them. I got one in the eye once. 😣
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • AlchemistAlchemist OxfordPosts: 193
    Out of curiosity, I was told drowning the compost for a day kills all the grubs and eggs by starving them of oxygen.....Could this trick be used here? 
  • B3 said:
    They're awful wet when you squish them. I got one in the eye once. 😣
    Squish them underfoot ? Just don't bend down to see the effect ;) 

Alchemist said:
    Out of curiosity, I was told drowning the compost for a day kills all the grubs and eggs by starving them of oxygen.....Could this trick be used here? 
    Seems a bit excessive - sodden compost and perhaps killing off any beneficials which may be lurking ? 
    Easy enough tho given the weather at present ;)
  • I wonder if now would be a good time for nematodes treatment for the borders? 🤔
    The temperature is expected to stay above freezing for quite a while and the soil is nice and wet. 
    I’ve had a few roses severely damaged by the vine weevils this summer 🤨