Forum home The potting shed

Wind turbine blade on it's journey!

• dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 687
    Fairygirl said:
    They're very impressive when you're up close to them. We have the biggest windfarm in Europe on our doorstep [ I can see part of it from the house on clear days] and it's an easy walk from the outskirts of it, to the wee summit of Corse Hill

I agree with you @Allotment Boy- too much 'agenda' going on, instead of concentrating on the changes being made and building on that. 
    I find them strangely beautiful...
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,138
    I find them strangely beautiful...
    So do I.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    I'd rather look at wind turbines than electricity pylons marching across field after field
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,889
    You have to do both @Hostafan1.  I find them unattractive and intrusive, probably because I know the harm they do, not to mention the cost and inefficiency, so can't find any good in them.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Obelixx said:
    You have to do both @Hostafan1.  I find them unattractive and intrusive, probably because I know the harm they do, not to mention the cost and inefficiency, so can't find any good in them.
    There's one I can see from the breakfast room and from the speed and angle, it acts as a windvane , so that's useful.
    Devon.
  • You can still admire the look of them whether in the OP's pic or in situ. My main objection is the damage to bird life but we are doing pretty well on that score ourselves without any help.
    I'd say we could describe humans in the same terms - unattractive (depending on your viewpoint ), intrusive, costly and inefficient and causing immense harm to the environment.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,486
    Many years ago a Biologist/ Zoologist proposed a definition of the Human race as "a species that exists to the detriment of it's environment and all other species" 
    @Obelixx I too have heard about people living close to these large turbines suffering serious health issues, from the low frequency sounds & vibrations. In times of very high winds they have to turn them off!
    AB Still learning

edited October 2019
    Many years ago a Biologist/ Zoologist proposed a definition of the Human race as "a species that exists to the detriment of it's environment and all other species" 
    @Obelixx I too have heard about people living close to these large turbines suffering serious health issues, from the low frequency sounds & vibrations. In times of very high winds they have to turn them off!
    we had a gust of 92mph measured and "ours" has never been turned off except for occasional maintenance, never due to high winds.
    I bet domestic cats kill more birds than wind turbines
    Devon.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,486
    Hostafan1 said:
    we had a gust of 92mph measured and "ours" has never been turned off except for occasional maintenance, never due to high winds.
    I saw on a newsreel once there were high winds & one after another they were exploding in a shower of sparks, the commentary said they should be "parked" in very high winds. Maybe they have made them more resilient now. 
    AB Still learning

Hostafan1 said:
    I saw on a newsreel once there were high winds & one after another they were exploding in a shower of sparks, the commentary said they should be "parked" in very high winds. Maybe they have made them more resilient now. 
    or maybe they just can't be *rsed down here? lol
    Ask the good folk of Fukushima or Chernobyl if they'd have preferred wind turbines near them.
    Devon.