Wind turbine blade on it's journey!

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,626
Sitting down on the front at Cowes (IOW) this morning and saw one of the giant wind turbine blades going over to the mainland on a barge.Vestas is a big employer over here.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• That's certainly some cargo isn't it ?  Never seen one "laying down" before :)
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,130
    A thing of beauty.  But then, coming from Sheffield, I’m conditioned to admire large chunks of shiny metal. 😁
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,457
    That's certainly big!
  • Whenever I see farmers or tunnel diggers or cranes or whatever big clever machines, I think why can't we build them in this country, and here is a big wind turbine blade made in this country thank the lord for someone actually manufacturing useful things.
  • Hazel-1Hazel-1 Posts: 2,244
    When you see them from afar they don’t look  overly big but in that position, you can really see how massive they are ! Very impressive too. 
    North East
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,964
    I saw a piece on TV recently that was talking about these turbines. Apparently the way the electrical insulation is done / made here is a VERY polluting process! It produces a gas that is far more persistent as a greenhouse gas than the old cfc's that were banned ages ago. There is a less polluting process but they were saying that all there turbines in use in the UK are made with this "bad" process. It makes you think that if the climate change lot hear of this they will have us all back in mud huts  with no electricity before long.
    AB Still learning

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,002
    They're very impressive when you're up close to them. We have the biggest windfarm in Europe on our doorstep [ I can see part of it from the house on clear days] and it's an easy walk from the outskirts of it, to the wee summit of Corse Hill

I agree with you @Allotment Boy- too much 'agenda' going on, instead of concentrating on the changes being made and building on that. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,626
    I think they are such beautiful and elegant machines.
    There is of course still work to be done on finding better alternatives of all kinds to help the environment and these changes may seem slow to us and don't happen overnight.
    If we want to keep using power and energy at the current rate we are going to have to accept compromises until something better comes along.
    We as humans of course are the biggest problem!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,561
    edited 12 October
    These things are proliferating here too and a new group is planned just a km or so away.  I don't understand.   This is the second sunniest region of France and OK, not far from the Atlantic but not reliably windy.

They are unattractive, noisy, cause health problems to people with a sensitivity to their thrumming and/or their visual effects, harm wildlife especially bats and migrating birds whose bodies are found in significant numbers close by.........

Well made PV panels (think Germany, not China or the Philippines) are efficient, can be recycled, work even when it's cloudy, can be attached discreetly to many homes, shopping centres, industrial buildings.....   Ours also have heat exchangers so water is heated at night too.

Better to help people insulate their older homes and switch to energy saving heating systems and to make new builds as efficient as that RIBA award winning project in Norfolk. 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,606
    not helped by this stupid government cancelling "feed in tarrifs" 
    Let folk buy panels and "donate" surplus energy to the grid so THEY can sell it for profit??? Yeah sure, sign me up for that.
    Devon.