Identifying these strange plants

Can you tell me what these plants are?They are the two plants growing with wide leaves and lighter colour spiky growths.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,985
    I can't zoom in enough to the small pics to see, but if the ends of the leaves are hard and  sharp, it could be a type of yucca.  Otherwise, probably one of the phormiums.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thank you Bob so much for your prompt reply.  I don't think it is a Yucca, but possibly a phormium although I have looked them up and can't find anything exactly alike.  My daughter asked me about it as it is in her front garden in Bristol and they have cleared several very overgrown trees so the poor things have been in the dark for many years.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,002
    That's why they look a bit sad. They've lacked light.
    I agree they're probably phormiums, but we need a close up. If the base is a 'clump' of foliage, rather than a single stem, that's most likely  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• This is how it should look we think.  Apparently a large stalk appears followed by a flower.  Thank you for all your help.  Phormium Gloriosa.
    That  photo shows a Yucca - Phormium flowers are different, and quite insignificant.

I don't have a pic to hand I'm afraid, but they're easy enough to find online

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,606
    Yucca, not Phormium
    Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,606
    This is how it should look we think.  Apparently a large stalk appears followed by a flower.  Thank you for all your help.  Phormium Gloriosa.
    That's a Yucca, not a phormium
    Devon.
    Snap @Hostafan1 ;)