Silver Birch dying or a deficiency?

This is my silver birch which is about 20 years old. This summer I noticed all the leaves turned brown but did not fall. It is surrounded by a raised border which was built 4yrs ago. There is a cuff around the base of the tree. It has been very windy and the branches are breaking easily. Is this dying or is it deficient in something? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,657
    I suspect that the raised soil level may be causing the trunk to rot. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,985
    With the mention of leaves dying but not falling, I fear the worst and think it has probably had it.  Unless the collar (presumably protecting the trunk from the raised soil level) is a metre or more in diameter, I think building the raised bed has buried too many of the tree's surface roots.  These need to breath as well as take in water and nutrients so may have perished.  Another possibility is it suffered from drought and may recover.  All you can really do is cross your fingers and wait for next spring;  If it sprouts new leaves all is well. 🤞
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,882
    Agree that the issue is probably raising the ground level, never mind 1 metre, you shouldn't really do that within the tree canopy if not further.