Forum home Fruit & veg

Raised Beds Detail

2»

• edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,003
    I 100% agree with Nollie, in every point. Also, as someone with free-draining soil, I can tell too much drainage is a thing and can be a problem with high raised beds. Do you want to use your soil (assuming it's clay) or do you want to buy topsoil? If you want to use a mix of bought topsoil and compost, it will be well-draining enough without any other tweaks. If you want to use clay soil, add some grit rather than sand and don't do layers, mix it all together.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,324
    I'd agree with the others about the strength of the structure. You need good sturdy posts at all the corners, regardless of the content, because there's considerable force being exerted on beds that size. Then strong timber for the sides, with lining to prevent rot.
    I'd do away with the pallets for the bases too, and concrete posts in for timber, and then follow the suggestions already here about the base. 
    Even if you're only growing veg - which would generally be lighter in weight- the structure needs to be strong if it's going to last.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• unclej64unclej64 Posts: 1
    I am looking at building some raised beds on tarmac.  Can I just have a level of gravel at the bottom and then put the mesh on that then the soil. I am using 2.4m 8"x4" railway sleepers. 2 cut in half to do the widths so the beds will be about
    1.2m X 2.4 m x 16". There will be 2 layers.
    Looking at getting some manure to put above the barrier and then top soil on top of that. Is that the best way to do it? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • SmudgeriiSmudgerii Posts: 185
    edited May 2020
    unclej64 said:
    I am looking at building some raised beds on tarmac.  Can I just have a level of gravel at the bottom and then put the mesh on that then the soil. I am using 2.4m 8"x4" railway sleepers. 2 cut in half to do the widths so the beds will be about
    1.2m X 2.4 m x 16". There will be 2 layers.
    Looking at getting some manure to put above the barrier and then top soil on top of that. Is that the best way to do it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Whats the mesh and gravel for?