Mushrooms!! They're everywhere!

Hi all,

I've recently bought a house and nurtured the lawn to a pretty decent standard over the last 2 months. I came back from holiday last week to find the lawn covered in mushrooms! Literally hundreds. I'd obviously like to get rid of these pretty sharpish, does anyone have any recommendations of how to get rid of these for the long term?

Thanks

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,609
    It's autumn - mushroom season! Enjoy the wonder of them, they'll be gone in a few days and no harm done.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,561
    Agree.  Seasonal feature and all too brief.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,002
    As the others say - enjoy! All part of the cycle  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,361
    As it is a new garden to you, I'd suggest that the "mushrooms" probably appeared every Autumn and will continue to do so until there is nothing left for them to feed on. 
    If you have hundreds of them appearing, it is highly unlikely that this is their first year. As said above they will soon disappear and it is pointless to try and eradicate them :)
  • 1) To prevent them from release spores, remove them from the ground as soon as you see the caps appear.
    2) Put them into a plastic bag you as you pull them out of the ground.
    3) Apply a nitrogen fertilizer annually to deter mushrooms from growing in organic matter.
    4) Mix 2 to 3 tablespoons of dish soap with 2 gallons of water to kill off the mushrooms.
    5) Take care of potted plants as they are often subject to fungi.

I have started my mushroom business after facing the same issues you're facing. It was challenging for me and so bought mushroom logs from Agrinoon (Fujian) and now doing well, and have some bit knowledge to share with all while taking help from other sites too.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,606
    if you simply brush them or drag the back of a rake over them as they appear, they'll just go. Remember what you see is the just the fruiting parts, the main event is going on underground .
    I just live with them in my garden.
    Devon.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,693
    It's great to see the autumn mushrooms and other fungi at this time of year, but this year they seem to be everywhere - I can't ever remember seeing so many and so many different varieties.
    For the last few years it's been very dry around here, but this year we seem to have had huge amounts of rain during the last few weeks which I suppose along with the reasonably warm weather makes for perfect conditions for them.
    Enjoy while they last as they'll soon be gone
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • delunkang said:
    1) To prevent them from release spores, remove them from the ground as soon as you see the caps appear.
    2) Put them into a plastic bag you as you pull them out of the ground.
    3) Apply a nitrogen fertilizer annually to deter mushrooms from growing in organic matter.
    4) Mix 2 to 3 tablespoons of dish soap with 2 gallons of water to kill off the mushrooms.
    5) Take care of potted plants as they are often subject to fungi.

I have started my mushroom business after facing the same issues you're facing. It was challenging for me and so bought mushroom logs from Agrinoon (Fujian) and now doing well, and have some bit knowledge to share with all while taking help from other sites too.
    Difference is that you are referring to edible fungi which you are growing on a commercial basis under, presumably, controlled conditions.  Good for you if you are having success.
    The majority of fungi appearing in the garden are simply part of the landscape - if you know enough to ID them as edible, then you can go ahead and munch.  Otherwise, as already stated, best left or if the gardener really has a desire to be rid of them, simply raking off will get rid of the visible parts until the following year.
    Popping the caps into a plastic bag ?  Then what ?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,561
    If you rake off all th evisible mushrooms in a garden you will rob the plant of its fruiting spores and ability to reproduce itself.   They're a vital part of a garden's ecology and indicate that all is well.

Certainly do not want to be killing them off with washing up liquid or anything else.  It' sindiscriminate and will harm other beneficial soil organisms.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I had an overly large Ash tree taken down at my old house and while the stump was still fairly alive and trying to regrow there was no fungi in the lawn. The autumn the stump finally gave up we had lots of fungi. I never did identify them but did appreciate them. With the size of the tree there will be more to come I suspect.