Forum home The potting shed

Cherish people

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,264
    my gob isn't big, how very dare you. 
    Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,264
    My Husband has cancer and waiting for surgery . A friend said " I'll pray for him" My reply was " don't waste your time. If there was a god, there would be no cancer" 
    "Fair comment" he said.

Folk believe in all sorts of gods/ prophets, santa clause, tooth fairy etc etc , doesn't mean any of them are real.
    Devon.
  • Artemis3Artemis3 Posts: 682
    Indeed a dear friend since my schooldays (so for over 50 years) is currently in Addenbrookes in a very serious condition ... a kind and creative man he has made a huge positive contribution to the lives of individuals as well as to the wider community. 

Yes, ‘cherish anyone who means anything to you’ ... and also be kind to everyone ...even on forums ... you don’t know what strangers may be dealing with. 
    I can imagine how distressing for you this must be, Dove.  I do hope your friend recovers.  Such shocks make us come face to face with the fact that our lives are transient.  Always a deeply sad realization, I think.  
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,098
    Thank you @Artemis3 😊 
    Our thoughts are with his family. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,177
    edited October 2019

I've never heard of anyone being the worse for prayer  (which is more than can be said for medicine!)

I think the jury’s still out on that one. This from 2006

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    BenCotto said:
    When my wife had cancer for the first time and really was quite ill, she had many praying for her from many faiths. When at her lowest she said she suddenly felt bestowed by a calming aura which seemed to envelope her in brightness. Maybe it was hallucinatory but praying does no harm. It can comfort the patient and their loved ones. Even if you have no faith, just sending a cheery note or a little bunch of flowers from time to time is a great tonic. What is not helpful is the affirmation “I know you’ll be all right.” No, you don’t know this and saying so will not change things.

Marc, I truly hope your friend makes a recovery but, if it is motor neurone disease, it is bad news. I have great faith that the medical staff will do what is right for him. 

At times like this it makes us take stock and to give thanks for what we have and to those we hold dear. Sincere words are enriching; just avoid the trite superficiality of ‘#prayforXXX’ and the cringeworthy response ‘Amen’.

They are taking him off the ventilator now fingers crossed he breathes ok
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Rhondda ValleyPosts: 2,685
    Fingers crossed for him Marc.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
    Fingers crossed for him Marc.
    Cheers mate 👍
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,520
    I certainly agree with the "Cherish anybody who means anything to you" although I can't personally go with the prayer part.  If it helps any individual to cope though that's fine by me.  My brother went to hospital for what were supposed to be routine blood tests, he collapsed when they were trying to take blood and dies 12 hours later.  You never know what's round the corner, and that's probably just as well.
    KT53 said:
    I certainly agree with the "Cherish anybody who means anything to you" although I can't personally go with the prayer part.  If it helps any individual to cope though that's fine by me.  My brother went to hospital for what were supposed to be routine blood tests, he collapsed when they were trying to take blood and dies 12 hours later.  You never know what's round the corner, and that's probably just as well.
    Sorry for your loss mate