Forum home The potting shed

Cherish people

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,177
    Hostafan1 said:
    I put my trust in medicine, not in the superstitious claptrap of "prayers"
    Whatever gets you through, I suppose.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,019
    It is not a problem when you pray for the patient, but much more so, when we the doctors start praying :)
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,177
    My consultant told me to take my aspirin “religiously” every day.  I asked him if wine and wafers were necessary....
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,039
    When my wife had cancer for the first time and really was quite ill, she had many praying for her from many faiths. When at her lowest she said she suddenly felt bestowed by a calming aura which seemed to envelope her in brightness. Maybe it was hallucinatory but praying does no harm. It can comfort the patient and their loved ones. Even if you have no faith, just sending a cheery note or a little bunch of flowers from time to time is a great tonic. What is not helpful is the affirmation “I know you’ll be all right.” No, you don’t know this and saying so will not change things.

Marc, I truly hope your friend makes a recovery but, if it is motor neurone disease, it is bad news. I have great faith that the medical staff will do what is right for him. 

At times like this it makes us take stock and to give thanks for what we have and to those we hold dear. Sincere words are enriching; just avoid the trite superficiality of ‘#prayforXXX’ and the cringeworthy response ‘Amen’.

• Artemis3Artemis3 Posts: 682
    .... CHERISH ANYBODY THAT MEANS ANYTHING TO YOU. SENDING PRAYERS MATE AND LOVE TO ALL ❤
    So terribly sorry about your friend, Marc.  Yet, patience and courage might improve the situation.  The future is unseen.

Thank you for your prayers and love.  Reciprocated.   
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    I'm not religious and only mentioned prayers because @josusa47 mentioned it which was nice of him/her
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,039
    Am I that certain person? I’m confused.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    Cherish people you love, even people you only occasionally see. If you haven't spoke to a loved one for a while give them a ring, don't ignore your neighbours when you see them. I've had my best mate going from struggling to walk to being on a ventilator in critical care in under a week. CHERISH ANYBODY THAT MEANS ANYTHING TO YOU. SENDING PRAYERS MATE AND LOVE TO ALL ❤
    Hoping for the best, and you take care of yourself too, eh?

TP
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    Hostafan1 said:
    I put my trust in medicine, not in the superstitious claptrap of "prayers"

I put my trust in medicine too, but I also pray that the medicine will be effective, because sometimes it isn't.

Only a doctor can provide medicine, buy anyone can pray.  I can't provide medical treatment for @BirminghamMarc1972 's friend, so I am doing what I can do.

I've never heard of anyone being the worse for prayer  (which is more than can be said for medicine!)

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,264
    I can't decide, should I pray to Shiva, Zeus, Ra or someone else?
    Devon.