Idling engines

Anyone else annoyed by vehicles which park for 10 or 15 minutes and leave the engine running ?
I cannot see any good reason for this other than the driver's inability to switch the ignition off.
My main gripe is buses/coaches which park a couple of metres away from my house and garden and sit quite happily whilst pumping out noise and exhaust fumes.
I recently heard that local councils are becoming concerned about this fad and are able to fine the miscreant ............£20...........so not too concerned then.
I should perhaps have just put this moan on the Curmudgeon thread but considering all the hooha re pollution, etc., I wondered how prevalent this was ?
I am considering contacting the bus companies concerned as the problem seems to have increased but be interested to know whether others have any experience - successful or not.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,874
    I find it annoying too @philippa smith2 apparently there are talks of putting up signage about switching off engines to encourage the police to take action and impose the fines.  I went on holiday to  Austria about 25 years ago and it was illegal then to leave engines idling.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,464
    It's a pet hate of mine. People do it all the time around here and it's got a lot worse now that people have developed the habit of sitting in their cars playing on their phones. You see people pull into a parking space and immediately grab their phones before even thinking about turning the engine off.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,874
    Usually with the windows open while playing loud music.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,561
    I undertsand that in Switzerlan it is forbidden to go out an turn on your engine to defrost the car while youhave a cup of coffee nomatter how cold it is or how deep the frost factor. 

No idea why people anywhere think it's OK to sit in a stationary car and not turn off the engine.  Apart from the car interior being the most polluted place to sit in idling or slow moving traffic, it's also a total waste of money.

I would maybe try asking the bus drive if he or she has been given any training on the ill effects of idling engines and ask if they would mind turning off their engine.   If that doesn't work, note the number of the bus and the time and location and report it to both the council concerned and the bus company and the local papers/TV/FB page too because you should not have to put up with the noise or the pollution.   Keep it polite and build up a following amongst like minded locals till things change.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,361
    Thanks to all of you who have commented.    Obelixx said:

I would maybe try asking the bus drive if he or she has been given any training on the ill effects of idling engines and ask if they would mind turning off their engine.   If that doesn't work, note the number of the bus and the time and location and report it to both the council concerned and the bus company and the local papers/TV/FB page too because you should not have to put up with the noise or the pollution.   Keep it polite and build up a following amongst like minded locals till things change.

Yes - I haven't yet approached the individual drivers - I had certainly considered it but was unsure whether to appeal directly rather than a generic request to their companies.
    I've noted the culprits and the times and I think that is the way I am going to go.  Unfortunately I think I'm perhaps the only householder really affected - the others are 6 feet under in the Churchyard.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,453
    Many councils are at least looking at this now. It's a big problem around schools with parents waiting for pick up time combined with the ill-effects on children's health in particular, so that's an area that my local council is focussing on to start with. 

If you have a look at Westminster's 'Don't Be Idle' campaign (https://www.westminster.gov.uk/dont-be-idle), which has been going for a couple of years now, there's quite a lot of good info for if you feel able to challenge someone who is doing this. 

It drives me barmy.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
    @philippa smith2 - local isn't just next door, it's the next street/hamlet/whatever.  I expect you'd get loads of support form local parents and grand-parents who don't want their progeny growing up with stunted lungs, allergies, asthma etc.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,002
    I'll say this - who's enforcing it?
    They can't stop all the twuts who make calls, text, don't put seat belts on - despite them being compulsory for decades - drive like bampots etc etc, so how are they going to police it?
    Yes it needs attending to, but it's like a lot of laws - they can't apply it effectively. 

Oh - and a month ago, a woman sat outside my house in her BMW for almost an hour with her engine on....
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,093
    What do you expect from BMW drivers? 
    You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
    That's what potatoes are for @Fairygirl!!  Up the exhaust pipe.