Forum home The potting shed

Another petition: Ban peat compost for garden use

• AlchemistAlchemist OxfordPosts: 244
    I still use peat based compost but last 2 years I’ve also been trying wool
    compost on the advice of a person (HW-Hyde) I met at a show and it’s been great. Last year I did not re pot my lillies, strawberries, bush raspberries etc and they all did really well. And this year the toms were grand compared to a peat based compost (Humax grow bag) Downside is that they are not cheap. However they also do a 2x compost that you can mix with used compost and works well making it a bit more economical- just commented on another post btw. 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,447
    Peat  burning in homes is also common in the Midlands if Ireland.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • This is an interesting thread.

People aren't willing to stop using peat compost because gardeners only account for around 4% of its total use. 

Gardeners also account for only around 1% of weedkiller use... 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,096
    This is an interesring read - especially as in a fortnight I'll be living in Ireland...
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/27/ireland-closes-peat-bogs-climate-change

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,736
    Hostafan1 said:
    if anyone produces an alternative which is A: as good, and B; similar cost, I might swap but the cynic in me thinks that suppliers are cashing on environmental concerns and charging more for a peat free product which is inferior to the peat based products.
    That's my view on electric cars too.  Ridiculously expensive by comparison to their petrol/diesel counterparts and have battery technology which means the battery packs have to be replaced every few years.  Who would buy a 'normal' car if the engine had to be replaced every 3 or 4 years?
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,292
    KT53 said:
    Hostafan1 said:
    if anyone produces an alternative which is A: as good, and B; similar cost, I might swap but the cynic in me thinks that suppliers are cashing on environmental concerns and charging more for a peat free product which is inferior to the peat based products.
    That's my view on electric cars too.  Ridiculously expensive by comparison to their petrol/diesel counterparts and have battery technology which means the battery packs have to be replaced every few years.  Who would buy a 'normal' car if the engine had to be replaced every 3 or 4 years?
    Well that's the thing about progress...someone has to pioneer it. They may not be perfect but it's heartening how electric cars are becoming mainstream despite the decades of fossil fuel company lobbying to governments. The same with peat, I have always used peat free compost and don't think I'm missing anything. But each to their own.
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    I don't use peat generally, but my soil is pH8 and I have a long-felt yearning for R.ponticum "Luteum".  I'm growing them in a small border which I've doctored with "Moorland Gold" from the Organic Gardening Catalogue.  It consists of fine peat particles which naturally wash down into the streams that drain upland peat bogs, and is recovered from the filtering systems in reservoirs.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,746
    The government has issued a response to this petition now. It sounds like steps are being taken to fund research into alternatives which is good. Apparently though if this doesn't reach 100000 signatures by the time the election is called then it gets scrapped anyway and has to start again.

A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,808
    The election has been
    called ... what’s the betting the government’s response is just electioneering ....

Cynical? Moi? 😇 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FireFire LondonPosts: 11,607
    "Some things I can control, some I can’t. I can control what I use in my garden".

Amen
    and
    ....what I use in my
    kitchen
    wardrobe
    travel etc

"It's not my problem and not responsibility" gets to be a very boring and unconstructive line. You'lll notice how it always someone else's fault, job, buck.