Forum home Wildlife gardening

Wood pecker

I noticed a new visitor to the garden yesterday afternoon: a lovely green woodpecker. I expect for many this is not a rarity, first time I've seen one since moving here though. He was on the wildlife grassy area so that's another that I will add to the list of it attracting. They mostly eat ants apparently. Not complaining at that  ;)

We get the black and white woodpeckers regularly and they used to visit the small trees in the next street. But... The council have pulled them all out when they relaid the pavements. Surely that's unnecessary? Who knows... Its a terrible shame though. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,416
    We have the black and white ones, they love the suet blocks, but I’ve never seen a green one. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,022
    How wonderful! I regularly saw green woodpeckers on country lanes where we used to live, loved their witchy cackles, such a different call to other woodpeckers. Here we just have the greater spotted ones, currently attacking the walnuts on a nearby tree. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,200
    Two tribes of the greater spotteds in our Belgian garden and great fun to watch as each trive toaught its babies to prefer the peanut feeders or the fat balls as laid down by the previous generation.  Very occasionally, a green one as our garden was not dry tho not short of ants either.

This garden gets regular green 'peckers and very chatty they are too but we have neither seen nor heard the greater spotteds since arriving 3 years ago.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,734
    There are Gt Spotteds around here, but the ones we see and hear the most are the green woodpeckers ... light soil,  old woodland,  lots of lawns and a golf course ... perfect ant country 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,064
    Mainly great spotted here with occasional lesser spotted and much rarer green ones. Even if we can't see them it is wonderful to hear them in the woods next door.