Forum home Tools and techniques

Garden Sheds - Has anyone tried an Asgard shed?

Hello, I'm looking at garden sheds (particularly secure ones!) and came across Asgard, has anyone tried them? What do you think please? 

The range i'm looking at is https://www.asgardsss.co.uk/5x7-metal-shed 
I'm looking for low maintenance and secure, not sure on size but these look like they come in various depths. 

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    edited October 2019
    We had a metal shed once in another house the main drawback was it tended to rain on you when condensation formed in the colder weather and also not being able to screw into the frame for hooks and shelves. Nowadays with such lively garden paint colours a wooden shed can look attractive and don't need that much maintenance.
    Don't think any shed is that secure but you can get shed alarms.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,275
    We bought an auluminium shed for our garden in Harrow, 35 years ago now.  Very cold in winter, very hot in summer, noisy in the rain, no easy fixing for shelves as K67 says. 

I too would suugest a more attractive wooden shed but maybe add a better quality roofing felt than they usually have.  Paint or stain it to suit your colour scheme - bold or discreet.  You can also attach trellis or window boxes to make it prettier.

Fasten it securely and get a shed alarm and maybe a CCTV camera pointed that way if you're concerned about theft. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,322
    edited October 2019
    I haven't looked into the security aspects, but I think Beast Sheds are supposed to have pretty good security options.
    A friend has recently bought an Asgard bike shed, but I suppose most of the downsides of a metal shed wouldn't apply for a bike shed.

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • k_webber90k_webber90 ManchesterPosts: 11
    edited October 2019
    Hiya!
    Thanks for your replies!!

Ahh yes, the one im looking at has vents in the front and underneath for condensation issues. I've googled them and not seen any reports of condensation, i guess if you put wet stuff in it then any shed will be damp! These also come with shelves and hooks etc so dont think that would be an issue. 

My issue with wooden sheds is a mouse could burrow in, while these have metal floors so they won't nibble their way through. Even if you put higher quality felting on a wooden shed, it will still need maintenance after a while though. 

LG_ said:
    A friend has recently bought an Asgard bike shed, but I suppose most of the downsides of a metal shed wouldn't apply for a bike shed.

Yes I've seen the biking community absolutely love them! 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,275
    Our new garden shed is a stone built part of an old farm building attached to our house.  Solid floor, soild walls but still meeces and rats get in as they are past masters at squeezing in throught teeny holes the size of a pencil so your vents will not be mouse proof.

Better to go for a shed that suits the function you have in mind plus your style and budget and then arrange storage as you need it and just make sure any storage for items such as seeds is kept closed and well sealed.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw