Forum home Tools and techniques

Greenhouse Advice

Hi, I've been looking online at buying a small greenhouse and thought I'd ask for peoples opinions/experience as I get so indecisive when there are so many choices! I know I should get as big as I can but finances and space are the limits on that. Where have people bought them from, what models, horticultural glass or crystal clear polycarbonate??? I am trying to cut out plastics but the polycarbonate is cheaper, wondered how long lasting  it is?
Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Thanks

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,549
    Does it have to be new? I've set up a search alert on gumtree for greenhouses within 30 miles and loads come up. I got a very nice 6x4 Elite greenhouse for under a 1/4 of the new price. You might be able to stretch the budget a bit that way.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,926
    edited October 2019
    I have just bought a small greenhouse (7’ x 8’) and I could not be more delighted with it. I think it looks very stylish and the build quality is exceptional. It blends in well with our mid Victorian cottage. The bottom panels are Tricoya wood which is modified MDF with an outdoor life of 70+ years. The upper part of the greenhouse is aluminium with flush fitting strengthened glass. I am confident it would withstand a hurricane. Inside along one wall is upper and lower collapsible aluminium shelving which, again, could withstand weights way in excess of what might be deemed normal. There is automatic venting the full length of the greenhouse on both sides and the door is lockable with a high specification padlock.

Tomorrow the landscapers are returning to lay internal stone paving in the centre and gravel at the edges plus connect up the wiring.

Here are a couple of pictures. One thing you might note is how much higher it is than standard small greenhouses.

I can’t pretend the thing is cheap. It isn’t. It’s expensive. Including fitting and a side of shading the price was £6800. Personally I am happy to pay for style and quality but I know many others are not in such a fortunate position

The company? Cultivar.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,177
    my 56 feet by 21 feet polytunnel was less than half that price, but nowhere near as stylish.
    Devon.
  • Oh my, that is a beautiful piece of kit!  Good luck to you, happy gardening.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,273
    If utility is more important than looks then I'd go for a polytunnel too.  We have a 4 x 8 metre jobby with a door either end and a removable green mesh for shading in summer and are very pleased with it.   If you are any good at DIY you could build a wooden frame to measure and cover it with polythene sheeting or sheets of polycarbon plastic window which you can buy in a good DIY store.  A skin of bubble wrap inside the frame would give added insulation in winter.

If the greenhouse is to be a visible and visual feature then look around for people selling one second hand in your area.   Much cheaper in general but make sure you take plenty of photos of it in situ and mark the pieces and their location as you dismantle it.  This willsave untold time when you build it.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks everyone. Very lovely one Ben & you enjoy it (but  beyond my means.)
    hmm have thought of polytunnels but I do like the idea of being able to see out.
    I have looked on eBay,gumtree & preloved but will have another go and be more patient! And thanks for the tips if I do find one.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,656
    That's a seriously impressive greenhouse @BenCotto :)
    Are you now gardening in a shirt and tie, with a pipe in the corner of your mouth?  :D

I only have a tiny timber framed,  polycarbonate one which I bought last year. It's not on a grand scale and certainly isn't big enough if you like doing a lot of seed sowing etc, but it does me for my tomatoes, and a few bits and pieces over winter. I wouldn't have room for anything much bigger without removing a bit of the garden. It's also small enough to move by myself if necessary, which I've had to do twice due to building work

https://greenfingers.com/product.asp?dept_id=200360&pf_id=DD12306D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,926
    edited October 2019
    Thank you FairyGirl. I do indeed have a 1950s style suit (from Darcy clothing, should anyone be interested) so I think that outfit would be complete with a pipe. I see myself standing by the staging using the pipe to point out something in the seed tray that is worthy of comment. My tone will be simultaneously avuncular and authoritative. Just such a pity the cats won’t be paying any attention.

Edit: here it is. This is me. Incidentally I think I once read that Monty gets his blue workman’s jacket from this site

https://www.darcyclothing.com/shop/jackets/grey-cotton-herringbone-jacket-ja300/
  • thanks fairygirl & bike, comments much appreciated. Yeah wanting it for few toms, but of over wintering & some seed sowing. I presume you can’t stand inside yours fairygirl?
  • Sorry forgot to ask if you think the polycarbonate panels will last long??