Forum home Wildlife gardening

Small trees/shrubs

2»

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,669
    Good looking fence and plenty of space to expand the planting but think also about training wall shrubs along and up that fence. 

Pyracantha is evergreen, has spring blossom for nectar and autumn berries for birds and porvides great shelter for insects and nesting birds as it matures.   

Honeysuckle, carefully chosen and trained,will provide shelter, nectar and berries as well as perfume for you.

Early and late flowering clematis will stretch the seasonal offering of nectar for insects.  In my last garden they loved Red Ballon and Red Robin, probably others too but I noticed this pair more.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,327
    Yes - I forgot to mention climbers @Obelixx. Definitely of value and loads to pick from. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Patsy FPatsy F KentPosts: 46
    Yes, training wall shrubs is a good idea. Before the fence, we had my neighbour’s overgrown shrubs, bindweed etc poking through chestnut fencing, so it didn’t look as stark as it does now, though not aesthetically pleasing! We’ve got a Mahonia at the bottom. Was considering Berberis and already have a couple of Clematis in pots, which I could transplant. Don’t want to make rash decisions, but this is a perfect time for planting. I’m planning to under plant with a mass of bulbs too.