Forum home The potting shed

Binoculars

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    edited October 2019
    I've got a little pair of Miranda 10x 25 . ( about £10 online )  They suit me fine  although they were sneered at by serious bird watcher in The Gambia.
     His Swarovski pair were better, but £2,500 more expensive.

Devon.
  • B3B3 Posts: 14,723
    The furthest I'll go is Dulwich Park, probably. And the glittery crystals would scare the birds  or maybe attract the magpies.😉
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,062
    I have Olympus 10 x 21 DPC I which I bought after using my sister's pair. They sit on my desk so that I can immediately use them if I see anything interesting in the garden and I also take them away on holiday. Lightweight is essential for me as I know I won't be bothered to carry them otherwise.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,711
    The other point worth mentioning is that the larger the magnification, the more shake you get, as the larger magnification amplifies any teensy hand or body shake and makes it more difficult to focus, so bigger is not necessarily better - apart from being much lighter, the 8 mag is steady and easy to use, has a sufficiently wide field of view for everyday noticing and the 25 lens aperture lets in enough light, unless you are fond of noticing in poor light. A 10 mag is brilliant, but needs a bit more practice to steady the buffs. With with the 12 mag, I have to prop myself up against a handy trunk, OH’s for instance. So how steady your buffs are is something to consider.

Here’s a comparison between my 10 or 12 (roughly same size, weight and seductive rubber finish) and my 8:

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,741
    You really, really need to test them with your own eyes before buying.  Most good camera shops sell binocs and should be only too happy to let you try them.  I mention this as our eyes are all different and things like 'exit pupil size' matters, particularly as you get older.  A small exit pupil size has the effect of making it difficult to position them on your eyes without seeing a small image 'bouncing' around as you move, within a larger dark circle.  Binocs with larger exit pupil sizes will be a pleasure to use.  It's unavoidably technical but have look here:
    In essence, the bigger the front lenses and the smaller the magnification, the less trouble you'll have, so go for 7x50 rather than 8x50 as an example.
    I have a pocket-sized pair of 9x21 (9 times magnification with 21mm front lenses) and I find them difficult and almost painful to use these days.   I'm going for something like 7x35 next I think.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    @BobTheGardener. Ive googled exit pupil size and I can't work it out.  Can you explain? 😣
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,741
    Not any better than in that link, I'm afraid.  Basically, avoid small front lenses combined with large magnifications if your eyesight isn't absolutely perfect.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    That'll do me. .thanks @BobTheGardener😊
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,835
    edited October 2019
    Im following all these comments,and I think Id better go and "try"before I buy as you sugested @BobTheGardener .

Thankyou for all the sensible advice folks.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
    I'm going to try a cheapo. why not? If it doesn't do the job , I'll pay more.
    What makes me think this is the way to go was trying a reasonably cheap cordless vacuum and then trying to give away my dyson corded.
    You don't always get what you pay for. I'm not a spy or a Peeping Tom, so maybe cheapo will do. If under a tenner is too cheap, I'll try under a hundred