Binoculars

B3B3 Posts: 10,238
Can anyone recommend some basic,smallish, lightweight binoculars?
I want to use them for bird noticing.
In London. Keen but lazy.

• Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,531
    Im after the same thing.......finding my big ones too heavy to hold for long.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,464
    Where will you be using them and what's the budget?
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,238
    Let's hope we're lucky @Valley Gardener😊
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,609
    I've got these, very light and easy to use, keep them ready to hand so I can grab them if something interesting appears in the garden.
    I'm sure there are 'better' binocs out there, but there's something to be said for having ones you don't have to worry too much about!
    Other suppliers may be available, I just looked to check you could still get them :)

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,410
    I’ve moved on from the smallish, lightweight ones as once you start noticing you want to notice in closer detail... but have used Nikon for years as the quality and clarity of the lens is excellent. They have just got progressively bigger/heavier and I am now onto 12x42.

When on the move, I still use the smaller ones - Nikon Travellite EX. They are fairly elderly now and the magnification x aperture sizes has worn off (not helpful) but they are really lightweight, compact and still sharp. 
    Jusr looked it up, the little Nikons are 8x25 but not cheep at £80. 
    Is 8 or 10x25 enough? 
    I would say yes of you get good ones - the smaller mag/ap ones with a quality lens are much clearer, sharper and better than the cheaper ones with more m/a. Especially if you are mainly using them in the garden, or spotting nearby birds in the hedgerows, on electricity wires etc. 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,464
    For bird noticing I like a wide field of view and a wide objective lens to make it easier to track birds and for them to work well in low light. Sadly to get this you either pay a lot of money or end up with heavy binoculars. Or you get a monocular which is about half the weight of the equivalent binocular and about half the price too. I've got a Visionary 10x50 monocular which fits nicely into a coat pocket.

Thanks @Nollie 😊 . That's the kind of thing I need to know. I was finding the specifications mystifying. I can't tell a dioptre from a doughnut😵