Search for the worlds best tomato

jo17jo17 Posts: 60
For the last 24 years I’ve been on a quest to find the best tasting tomatoes in existence . 
For me me top cherry  is Sungold without a doubt . I found the ultimate beefsteak , Soldaki a heritage variety , thanks to a fellow Gardeners World contributor , but it only produces one or two fruits per plant . Every year I try to match the flavour of Soldaki ....has anyone discovered the best beefsteak for flavour and yield ? 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,693
    I grew Rose de Berne for the first time this year and was really impressed with this variety.
    A lovely rose colour, the fruits were bursting with juice, a very thin skin and when harvested I found the core remained on the vine.
    Too juicy for slicing, but wonderful in a Greek salad, perfect with mozzarella olive oil and basil - which I had a lot of during the summer.
    Not as big as some beefsteak toms - about 1.5 x the size of a Shirley
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,612
    Sungold is right at the top of my list but Suncherry premium just pips it. I am growing a heritage variety Brandy wine sudduths strain which is supposed to be nice but I am still waiting for a ripe one  :/
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,606
    I don't waste space /time / feed on beefsteaks for the very reason you point out. Not even return for the input required. ( and I don't think they taste as good as a handful of sungolds , lol )
    Devon.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,361
    Another vote for Sungold here.
    The only beefsteaks I've grown are Black Krim - prolific given a good summer - nice enough when just halved and grilled. 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,005
    The hubby says black cherry are better tasting than sun gold, which is why this year have only grown the black, a good 100 per plant this year.
    Black Cherry are certainly good - slightly larger than the Sungold but unfortunately just as tasty to pick and scoff when you are supposed to be collecting them to share with others in your family  :D
    Why do you think I don't send the hubby to pick for me😁 , bad enough if he waters the plants.🙄😁 
    You're right - some jobs are best left to us - an innocent comment on the lack of ready toms works well ( provided you wipe off the excess tom juice from your mouth of course ) ;)
    🤣
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,985
    Suncherry Premium for me, closely followed by Sungold for cherry types.  Country Taste is as it sounds and the heaviest and most reliable cropper I have grown from the beefsteak arena.  Those three are my main 'must haves' although Gigantamo surprised me with smaller but more fruit than I expected, so will be trying that one again next year.  I've been growing about ten varieties per year for the last couple of decades, changing at least half of them for new varieties which I haven't tried before each time;  The above varieties have proven to be delicious and 'good doers' here.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.