Disease on bay hedge

Hi everyone. I have a very large bay hedge which this year has developed a problem. All the leaves have turned a brown silvery colour. The underneath of some of them are still green but starting to turn brown.  I'm happy to cut it right back so all the leaves are removed but don't know if this will solve the problem. Any thoughts please? 

• dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 402
    Rust, maybe? Could be wrong.
    🎼"I've been driving in my car, it don't look much but I've been far, I drive up to Muswell Hill, I've even been to Selsey Bill..."🎹
  • trevelloetrevelloe Posts: 3
    Here's a few more photos showing the top of the leaf and the underneath
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,214
    Looking at those photos, my first thought was sooty mould. But further photos, it could be thrips damage. Still not sure.

Either way, a well grown shrub is unlikely to get attacked so badly. The shrub may be too dense creating a warm and humid atmosphere. Placed in an area with not enough sun or near an overhanging shrub/tree. Water stress is another factor. If grown in a pot, make sure it gets watered consistently. If it's a mature shrub grown in the ground, it will be best to prune out most of the affected leaves. The shrub should recover after that.
  • trevelloetrevelloe Posts: 3
    Thanks for your help