Forum home Tools and techniques

Blade notches: repair or replace?

Hi all, 

I got these telescopic shears in April and used maybe three times when I noticed they would not close properly.  Low and behold there a notch in the blade that’s catching.

Is it worth getting some kind of whetstone to sharpen it out?

I could probably use the same to sharpen the mower blade, but I expect it’s cheaper and easier to replace.

They were only £12 but given how little I use shears I didn’t see the point in investing at the time.

Cheers,

TP

• cornellycornelly Posts: 959
    I grind out the notches with a file, then re-sharpen using a grind stone, cheaper tools are always going to lose the ability quickly.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,613
    cornelly said:
    I grind out the notches with a file, then re-sharpen using a grind stone, cheaper tools are always going to lose the ability quickly.
    Can you recommend a source for the file and grindstone, or the characteristics I should look for?

Ive been into gardening for a couple of years and am looking at a small amount of topiary so I’m happy to invest in better tools too.

ta,

TP
  • nicktennickten Posts: 118
    I wouldn't bother with a stone for shears or a mower blade, just invest in a good quality file and take your time. Any burrs can come of with a bit of wet and dry paper. A stone gets it sharper but the sharper the blade the more susceptible to dings and chips it is.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,549
    I use a small diamond stone for my blades, gets them sharp nice and easily and can remove nicks if they're not too bad. If it's nicked and scored like that then it's probably pretty soft metal so will need sharpening often anyway.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 959
    Sorry as a old DIY person I always assume folks have these tools, ie files and stones.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,549
    I'd get something more like the Felco 903 diamond stone. Mine is an older flat stone that's really made for knifes and not so easy to use for curved blades but it still does the job. There's cheaper options out there but you get what you pay for. I picked up a set of cheap diamond files from Aldi and they've been pretty good for small jobs but seem to be wearing out quite quickly.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • I always use my electric grinder to sharpen these sort of things and mower blades,  hedge trimmer blades and so on. Have done for years as it's so quick.