Forum home Tools and techniques

Cutting back Scented Pelargonium

linzijayne74linzijayne74 Droitwich, WorcestershirePosts: 166
Hi.  I have a Scented Pelargonium ('Sweet Mimosa' variety, I think).  It's grown quite large in the last three years.  I keep it in a pot and overwinter it in a light, frost-free building at the bottom of our garden.  It didn't flower very well this year; I cut it back in Spring of this year but not by much.  Could anyone please confirm that it would be better to cut it back now instead, in Autumn, back to around 4inches/10cm of growth?  Many thanks in advance.  :)

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,102
    That should work just fine. I have "Royal Oak", another gorgeous scented pelargonium, and the plants get cut right back every autumn.
  • linzijayne74linzijayne74 Droitwich, WorcestershirePosts: 166
    Thanks @Ceres; I think mine didn't flower well this year because I only trimmed it this Spring and also I didn't trim it very much at all!  Your 'Royal Oak' sounds lovely; I haven't come across that variety before.  Right, where's my secateurs?!  Thanks again.  :)
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,102
    My pelargoniums are all due for a good trim. As soon as the forecast mentions frost, I will be out there with the secateurs then drag them all into the greenhouse.
    'Royal Oak' is a gorgeous plant and feels quite sticky. I haven't come across 'Sweet Mimosa' before but it looks like a lovely plant to have on the patio.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,510
    I use that Royal Oak as centre piece in tubs but I think it stinks, not a smell I would want indoors. They live in the GH over winter. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 730
    Hi @linzijayne74,

If you want more plants create some cuttings from the parts you prune off.
    I find scented pelargoniums will root in a few weeks in a jar of water on a warm and bright windowsill.
    I then have lots of little plants I keep as houseplants over winter .... and to give away to friends.
    Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
    Hi again @Ceres; apologies for the delay in replying.  I must admit I wouldn't have chosen the Sweet Pelargonium in the first place but it was bought for me by my favourite (!) mother-in-law who now lives France, so it has sentimental value.  :)
    Hi @Bee witched; thank you for your reply.  Yes, I may well take a few cuttings and see what happens; I've never taken cuttings before but I know how to do them.  (She says!).  That is very kind of you to give your cuttings to friends.  I'm particularly fond of my Pelargonium because the bees like it; I grow virtually all of my flowers for the bees/hoverflies/butterflies, etc.  :)