Forum home Problem solving

Plants levelled - total butchery

ElizaRoseElizaRose East AngliaPosts: 121
Ok, I’ve complained about my absentee neighbour and how she has let her shrubs and trees go overgrown. She finally appears to say that her tree surgeon is going to remove the large cypress and cut back shrubs on our side. I gently explained that by cutting the cypress totally down that she will lose a sound barrier (we live by railroad tracks and a carriage wash facility is also now being built behind us). Also that she had beautiful climbing roses towards the back. She seemed to agree about the roses. 
I then see the planning permit and that she also intended to cut down a weeping birch. I’m glad that the other neighbours commented on how they valued the birch - the town took a tree protection order on it. 
We were given an evening’s notice that the tree surgeon was coming. I briefly saw them and her in the morning, thinking she had taken on board at least what I said about the roses, I went to work. When I came back, my husband warned me that it might be a bit of a shock at the back. 
Well that was an understatement- everything was totally levelled - one beautiful climbing rose was levelled to a 7in stem; the other one also but luckily a thin stem which I had brought onto my side was kept. Every else was gone, levelled to the ground- a buddleia, a couple of cotoneasters, and a lot of plants in the middle of her garden. The large acer seems to have had a major branch lopped off - perhaps that was necessary but they left all the ivy on it, and I’m pretty sure I see more dead tree in there. View from my upstairs (our garden on the right is a bit of a mess due to work we had done- decking and trellis and new shed):

• ElizaRoseElizaRose East AngliaPosts: 121
    They also left the place a mess - ivy and stems all over the place.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,707
    If they've left the roots in, the buddleia, cotoneaster and roses will probably grow back.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,269
    edited October 2019
    Everything will regrow ... in a few years’ time it’ll be just as it was before. They’ve cut stuff back and cleared the overgrown  area ... which was what you wanted. 

Sadly we cant dictate our neighbours’ gardening style. 

At our last home we lived next to a very similar garden ... the birdlife (even in the city centre) was wonderful, and hedgehogs were happy there. Every cloud has a silver lining ... we just have to find it 😊 

PS. Is the carriage wash facility being built as well as the huge block of flats you told us about earlier, or instead of?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ElizaRoseElizaRose East AngliaPosts: 121
    Yes, stumps have been left, down to the ground,  but I’m not sure what has simply been cut and what has been uprooted. I want to state that I wanted the shrubs cut back and defined, not eliminated. 
     The bock of flats are being built as well as the carriage wash facility and the bicycle pedestrian trail. We are in a protracted correspondence with the builders group, but GTR have not responded to our concerns - that’s another story!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,315
    i think the lesson here is " be careful what you wish for"
    Devon.
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    You moaned to a neighbour about the garden being overgrown, they cut it all back and your still moaning 😴😴 you will never please everyone in this world unfortunately they did cut it all back like you asked 
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,899
    I have to say that it's up to your neighbour what they do in their garden as long as they don't break any laws.  If you reverse the situation, I'm sure you would be  upset if they tried to tell you what to do in your garden.  I would concentrate on making your own garden into your bit of paradise and let them get on with theirs.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    You could offer to help clear up.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,269
    You could’ve offered to prune and shape the shrubs for them ... then you might have had a little say in how they looked ... ?

How would you like it if they told you they didn’t like the way your garden looks and asked you to change it to fit in with their tastes?

If you’re not happy with the place you live you can move ... that’s what we did 😊 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,050
    >>our garden on the right is a bit of a mess<<

Something of an understatement! If I was looking out of their bedroom window pot and kettle might come to mind.