Forum home Wildlife gardening

Selfseeding flowers

Hi everyone, I have a dry flower bed/ rockery on an angle into full sun, and some of it is hard to plant into. I'd like to plant or seed some selfseeding flowers, good for bees, butterflies etc. Marjoram or oregano and achillea do very well, plus snapdragons are starting as well. Are there some others I can think of planting. seeding etc? Thanks 

• bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 468
    Hello @samramsden2001 🙂 . The flowers which always self-seed in my garden are forget-me-nots, nigella and aquilegias.
  • FoxiesFoxies Posts: 60
    Hi Sam  :) Polemonium - Jacob's Ladder with it's lovely purple flowers and fresh green foliage - does exceedingly well in my garden and is loved in particular by Common Carder Bees. It's easily pulled out where it's not wanted.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,045
    alchemilla mollis
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,116
    The poached egg plant [Limnanthes] should do fine,and good old nasturtiums. Both are readily available too. 
    Bullfinch's suggestion of nigella is particularly good - they will do a very good job of seeding around.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,102
    Linaria purpurea self seeds readily and the bees adore it.
  • Teasels, Ragged Robin, echium, aquilegia, nigella, harebells all reseed well in our garden.  So do Sycamore and oak trees and Spring bulbs and corms multiply and the clumps are divided every second year here.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,356
    Mexican fleabane likes a well drained sunny spot and seeds well.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 553
    Salvia splendens 'Vista Red' has always reseeded for me if I drop blooms on the ground as they die off.  Borago oficinalis (blue borage) also reseeds predictably, but can spread where it is not wanted if not managed.  Zinnia elegans can be relied on to reseed as well. 
    My low-carb recipe site: https://buttoni.wordpress.com/