Forum home Problem solving

Killing weeds in a public area

I have a cobbled area full of weeds (see photo) in a public area that I want to clean, but it borders a pavement and I'm worried about using weed killer as there are lots of dogs and cats in the area. Can anyone suggest the best way to get rid of these weeds please? 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,462
    A flamegun would soon sort it.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,618
    There seems to be a build up of soil on the cobbles which will need to be removed as it will be acting as a seed bed for weeds. Power wash it off and then re-grout if required.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,703
    Actually this looks rather nice.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,036
    I thought so too. There's one or two weeds I'd pull out though.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448
    I would just get rid of the bigger weeds,other than that I would keep it as it is!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,858
    Or replace some of the weeds with creeping thyme or similar.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,305
    who owns it? and have they given permission ?
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,015
    I think @Hostafan1's comment is very  relevant, but if it's yours, a good going over with a stiff broom would remove most of it. A power wash, as suggested, or pulling the rest would work, and spot treating the stubborn weeds [dandelions] with a suitable product would finish it. 
    It depends on the look you want though.   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,174
    edited October 2019
    If that is, as described, ‘a public area’ next to
    a footway which might on occasions be walked on, I really wouldn’t be planting anything there ... it was obviously designed and intended to be a cobbled area ... even creeping plants can be a trip hazard. 

The OP had asked for advice on ridding the area of weeds. I would either use an old kitchen knife and dig out the larger ones and then use a very stiff yard broom to remove the build up of soil and detritus and hopefully that would remove the tiny weedlings along with it.  regular application of aforementioned yard broom should keep the area free of ‘stuff’ for more weeds to root into in the future. 

If the above method isn’t possible for any reason (infirmity etc) then i would seek advice from the local council/parks department about weedkillers suitable for use in public spaces. 

Hope thats helpful 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,533
    Looking at the adjoining fence line I suspect the cobble area is actually within the boundary of the property, but because there is no fence the OP is concerned about the effect on passing dogs and other wildlife.  Many weedkillers become inert pretty rapidly on contact with the earth so risk will be low.  If I'm correct about the ownership,  I would tie tape from the fence to a bin or similar to deter access for 24 hours after any spraying.