Forum home Problem solving

African Violet Disease

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help with this. My plants have been affected by the disease you can see in the picture. As they grow they become stunted at the centre and go tough and whitish. Then they die. I'd be grateful for any ideas. Many thanks.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,587
    This looks to me like a problem caused by watering technique and/or light levels.

Have a read of this info from the RHS and make sure you scroll down to Problems which gives explanations about watering and light - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=942

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hi Obelixx, Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will review my practice in these respects. However, I've been growing these plants successfully for many years and with no change on my part this problem has only arisen the last few months. I wondered therefore if it was some sort of disease.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    That is possible, especially if the affected plants have all been grown from leaf cuttings originating from the same diseased 'mother' plant, or one of it's direct decendants.  Is that a possibility?
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • At the moment I have three types of African violet, which I've kept going by taking cuttings over the years. Two of the three are affected by whatever this is. I can't see anything that resembles it searching online.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    Mmm, odd as you say.  I agree with Obelixx that it does look more related to growing conditions.  If you are using the same compost and cultural regimes, then worth checking the roots for pests.  There is something called 'root rot nematode' which can affect them, as well as the more usual vine weevil grubs and various kinds of root aphid.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks very much, Bob. I'll look into that.