Forum home Problem solving

What to do with slope at side of garden

Hi,

I have just moved into a house with a relatively steep slope to the left hand side, wondering what people's ideas are on what can be done with it? Bedding, decking?

Ideally, a retaining wall would be put in to level it out but would be costly. 

Thanks in advance for all ideas! 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,839
    Is that front or back garden? I'd be checking the planning approval drawings to see what was supposed to go there. Typical lazy developer solution there, profit over practicality.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    I agree with @wild edges

Thats surely not how it was supposed to be 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• allisteraallistera Posts: 2
    edited October 2019
    Believe me, I have been to hell-and-back with them (Persimmons) - we were in the news papers last week. It seems they aren't budging on putting a retaining wall in sadly. It is the back. 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,839
    Persimmon. Why am I not surprised. If nothing else a fence should be fitted at the top of a slope for several reasons. What sort of budget do you have for tackling this? I'd be tempted to fit concrete gravel boards against the fence posts, remove the turf and then try and make some kind of rockery feature out of it. What sort of light does it get?
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932
    Shoddy - but why are we not surprised :/
    What sort of space is between the grass and the house wall too, and how many metres does the 'problem area' go for ?
    I'm assuming there's a path of some kind there to access the side of the house? The grass level looks very high everywhere.

I'd agree with @wild edgesthat maybe stripping the top of the grass away, or most of it, fitting something against the fence and using the turf to backfill,  therefore getting less of a slope, and creating a border of some kind along there. Or a hedge. 
    A deck might end up being a nuisance if it's shady, and your neighbours might not be too thrilled either  ;)
    It depends how much manpower you have too, but it wouldn't be too expensive to do that yourself if you're reasonably able. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    We had the same at the back of our garden on our development. 
    As we were replacing the boring grey patio slabs we sunk then into the ground in front of the fence which is 6ft but then decided to do a raised bed with sleepers and the soil wasn't very deep or graded.
    In year 2 now and coming along nicely.
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,964
    Yep sleepers has to be one of the easiest and cheapest ways to do it. That looks very nice K67
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    Does that gap between the house and fence lead to a gate?

Eitherway if that space is to be useful I’d be considering some kind of ramp up to the level of the planned retaining wall.
  • AJones33AJones33 Posts: 16
    K67 said:
    We had the same at the back of our garden on our development. 
    As we were replacing the boring grey patio slabs we sunk then into the ground in front of the fence which is 6ft but then decided to do a raised bed with sleepers and the soil wasn't very deep or graded.
    In year 2 now and coming along nicely.
    This looks so lovely! We were looking to do something similar. How far into the ground do the sleepers go? And did you need to add anything underneath the sleepers?