Forum home The potting shed

Visit to RHS Rosemoor - October 2nd 2019

amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,408
Hi all,

We took advantage of the good weather to visit Rosemoor today. Lots of inspiration and some very interesting plant varieties that will have to research and see if I can find spaces in my garden...the problem with being tempted 😉

Here are some shots for your perusal. 

To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,128
    That looks like a day very well spent ... and great photos ... thanks 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 3,847
    Lucky you George.... one of my favourite gardens with all their roses of course... thanks for these wonderful pictures... and you can see in the 7th photo down, the white house between the two trees was the former home of Lady Anne Berry who left the garden to the RHS in the 1980's.... she died the other day in New Zealand aged 99...

Their restaurant/tea room used to serve up delicious offerings too as I recall... I hope that hasn't changed too much...  
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,335
    Not so many roses now though, it was almost all roses when they first started out.
    they used to prune them with the hedge cutter. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,408
    It was our fist visit and was lovely to see so many roses @Marlorena so tempted to get a bare root Kent rose for a pot in the garden, the semi-double flowers were enchanting. Can only imagine what it looks like when all of them are in full bloom. But still wonderful to see the imaginative texture combinations and layouts. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,683
    Lovely photos @amancalledgeorge, I especially liked the one of the kniphofia. Did you do it all in a day trip though - seems a long way to go from South London!
    Oh gosh no @Lizzie27 we're on holiday for a week in Devon. The Kniphofia was variety Happy Halloween, in case you fancy some 😉 I'm rather tempted. 
  • not been here for a few years and it's high time for another visit. Good to see how the pro's trim their hedges.
  • PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 457
    Those fennel bulbs are HUGE!
    My low-carb recipe site:www.buttoni.wordpress.com
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,547
    They look normal to me @PeggyTX.  They need good rainfall to swell like that and mine in Belgium got very fat.   Haven't even seen the plugs on sale here so have ordered some seed and will set up an irrigated bed cos we love fennel but the stuff in the SM is either ropey or expensive or both.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Their vegetable patch was rather lovely @PeggyTX the whole area surrounded by trained fruit trees and lots of varieties of aubergines and leeks.