Forum home Problem solving

Is this a problem?

Hello, this summer we’ve just noticed growth underneath our patio doors and coming up at the side of the back door step. We’ve lived here 30 years and never seen it before. Got no idea what it is - we arent growing any climbers on the back of the house (I only say that because it does look like it has climbing tendencies at the side of step). Thank you 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    Well, I don't think it's Japanese knotweed but I don't think it's good to have a plant so vigorous it can suddenly appear and work its way thru the steps and doorframes. 

Do any of your neighbours have something like it in their garden?

I would be inclined to use a good systemic weedkiller on it and stop it in its tracks.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you Obelixx. That’s what hubby said. We’ve got some Roundup in the shed but not used it for years (because I’ve read all the health scares and eco issues associated with it). It is always very damp under our house too so it’s going to be well watered whatever it is  :#
  • I will have a chat with our neighbours tomorrow. Just thought... they have got Kerria Japonica (yellow flowers). That throws up lots of growth in our flowerbeds. I don’t think it's that. Is it? 
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,991
    That is exactly what it is, Kerria japonica.
  • Thank you both for your comments - really helps to talk - as soon as @Obelixx said ‘neighbours’ I had a light bulb moment. I feel a bit calmer now I know what it is. I’m always pulling the darn stuff out of my flower beds  >:) What a thug!!! 
  • TenNTenN Posts: 122
    It looks a bit like the wineberry we had before the fence fell over and killed it.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    If you follow the instructions and dilute as stated, wear rubber gloves and keep you legs and arms covered, glyphosate based weedkillers are safe nough for short term use. 

I rather think you'll need to buy fresh tho and wonder if an SBK brushwood killer product would be better than just glyphosate as this is a woody shrub and not just soft green leaves.   Make sure you protect any plants you wish to keep and zap any of it growing in the borders too.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw