Help needed from those that know bamboo in pots?

Hey guys and thank you for clicking my request for help.

I recently laid a patio in our garden with astro turf lawn (I have mobility issues) on the inserts. Still got a section to put down on Wednesday when pool comes down and the rain goes.

We have done our fence all the way round and just have to do the path next year but looking for some advice with putting in some bamboo in planters? Hope you guys can help?

We are really over looked from the neighbours opposite us so was looking into building some fairly slim line planters to put the bamboo in.
Due to space reasons I was hoping for them to be 300mm wide and as long as the fence, depth does not matter to me.

Questions are;

• is there a size you guys can recommend for planters for bamboo.

• secondly I was looking for a fast growing bamboo that can reach 3m like yesterday  (big smiling face). Is there one in specific that you might recommend?

• lastly for now, is there anywhere you can recommend for me to get some from - with a man whome just shelled out a small fortune on hard landscaping being kept in mind (another smiling face).
Was looking at the 3 red bamboo plants on Groupon?

Thanks in advance for any replies as really need some advice on this one.

• I grow a hardy bamboo (Phyllostachys aurea) in a large pot  (about 50cm diameter) and its now in its 4th year and provides a lovely screen which is effective but not heavy or imposing.   You need to give your bamboo plenty of space and water and feed regularly.  I cut out the old dead stems annually and there are always more to take their place.  There are many different types of bamboo so be sure to get the type you want.  Mine was bought from a local garden centre and was a well established plant (about 6 feet high) and it cost me about £30 I think .   The problem with getting a bamboo that grows to a great height  might be that it bushes out and takes over the space around it also.  Depends what you want really.
  • bluerigi said:
    I grow a hardy bamboo (Phyllostachys aurea) in a large pot  (about 50cm diameter)

The problem with getting a bamboo that grows to a great height  might be that it bushes out and takes over the space around it also.  Depends what you want really.

500 diameter, you think it would work I a meter by 300mm?

I really want about 3m hight but when it grows I would peak of the low young branches to expose the canes leaving the top bushy etc

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,965
    edited 30 September
    I've got mine in 45x45x45cm cube shaped pots. Those black concrete ones you often see. Bigger would be better especially if you're aiming for 3m plants. I went with Phyllostachys aurea from Homebase, £35 and it split into two good size plants. The Groupon plants will be small and I think you would be better with Phyllostachys aurea or nigra. I remove whole canes to keep it around 7ft tall max but it has produced some longer growths. 

Mine are in shade, they would probably have died from lack of watering if they were in the sun... I'm not good at keeping on top of watering containers. 
  • Yodas gardenYodas garden Posts: 9
    edited 30 September
    Thx for that and yes I plan to give them room to move across but the planter I have in mind would be a lot longer just not quite as wide etc.

The ones on Groupon would be small to start admittedly but for that price I could maybe manage around 9 plants and posibly put some around some other areas that are over looked.
    Currently looking around all my suroundings for a wild bush nobody trims back lol, do them a favour so to say. And me of course. 

I looked for bamboo in all my garden centers and they are about £69.99 for 1 plant and did not really look like it would be able to split yet if that makes sense? 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,270
    I think 3 metres in height is being over optimistic.
    Also I don't think  30cms is going to be wide enough.
    Woke up again
    To my chagrin
    Getting sick and tired of
    Feeling sick and tired again
  • punkdoc said:
    I think 3 metres in height is being over optimistic.
    Also I don't think  30cms is going to be wide enough.
    To cover the neighbours window is 2.5m so getting 3m mature height would be about the height needed really for privacy. Why you thinking optimistic if you don't mind me asking?

Yea I feel 300 or one foot was a little tight but was more curious if they had the length to fI'll then the width would not matter too much?.
    Novice to bamboo so reason for post?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,004
    Bamboo in my city grows very fast,no problem for 3 m
    Yes - but the OP isn't in China  :)
    If they're in narrow containers, they need copious watering @Yodas garden. If you make them big enough, they'll be ok though. The bloke behind me has a timber raised bed which is probably about the dimensions of @WillDB's , but about fifteen feet long. He has what looks like Ph. Aurea, and they've grown quite well. We do get a lot of regular rainfall though, which makes it easier.
    Does it have to be bamboo? There are other shrubs/climbers which would give privacy if you can have some simple trellis/wire on posts for supports. 
    It's a common query on the forum, and we often suggest a pergola or similar if it's for privacy, when you're eating or sitting, in particular  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....