Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bird Seed

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,616
    How lovely that you have reds @George2019. They need all the help they can get.

I'd be more than happy just to have them in a garden and nothing else  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    How lovely that you have reds @George2019. They need all the help they can get.

I'd be more than happy just to have them in a garden and nothing else  :)

@Fairygirl I made this for them in the summer https://www.facebook.com/mortonshetlandsheep/videos/354204468804303/

Get plenty of visitors now

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,616
    That's brilliant @George2019. They've been doing that in various areas up here to help them.
    They're very plentiful around Glen Lyon, but the problem is the roads - or rather the drivers on the roads. I sometimes see squished ones when i'm up that way  :(
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,983
    Would love Red Squirrels, have had an odd visit from a grey but no resident ones. We have no badgers or foxes, so the hogs only have to contend with traffic,  which is only one busy road in the village.  Our biggest problem is late youngsters not surviving the winter. 

Love what you have done @George2019 it must be fun to watch them.
  • Thank you @Fairygirl it was my little boys idea. We just fill up with peanuts then in January we buy all the Christmas nuts that are going passed thier sell by date(?)for next to nothing and feed them. We don't by the squirrel feed from shops as it has maize in it and the reds done eat it. However if it is eaten then there is a high chance that there are Grey's about as they do eat it. Fun fact for the evening.😀
  • @purplerallim

Thank you, it is good fun they are funny characters. We would love hedgehogs and it does sadden me to think we will never get any because of the Badgers!!!😢

I remember when I was younger we found two baby hedgehogs who lost their mother and we fed them and reared them till they where old enough and remember them coming back for several years after that.

Sadly like you I only ever see them now on the road.
    edited November 2019
    I have had alot of hog activity in the garden this year, the numbers seem to be up.These are my regulars.😁 @George2019
  • @purplerallim now that's just showing off ...😄😄😄😉 

Funny how we have gone from bird seed to squirrels then hedgehogs where ever will this go next.🤔
    🤣
    Going back to bird food, I have had success with millet sprays. Seems it's the only food a Dunnock would brave the bird feeder for.