Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bird Seed

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Sunflower hearts £1 bag will last ages if you ain't got pigeons
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,974
    Lyn said:
    I hope that Hopewells doesn’t go like that!The mixture does vary, I think they put in what grains they have in season. Sometimes more mealworms sometimes more suet chips.

I expect they have to tailor it as and when the market dictates too, Lyn. Some crops will be poorer one year making them more expensive.   :)
    That one I mentioned in Asda, had whole sunflowers in it and barley, to bulk it out. No use. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,920
    That’s right  Fairygirl,  I don't ever buy sunflower seeds only hearts, don’t like clearing  up the mess they make. 
    I have found over the years that the mix is good, except once where it wasn’t up to standard, I emailed them and another bag was down the next day. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Hope your keeping well @Lyn
    I can't complain about the company I used either @Lyn. Good service, well packaged, and seems good so far.
    Sparrows have been a wee bit absent recently and they're the ones who eat it most, but after a frost this morning, and cooler weather generally coming in, I'll probably fill a feeder up with the seed mix. Can't have my wee chums giving me a bad review on Chirp Advisor....

Fairygirl said:
    I can't complain about the company I used either @Lyn. Good service, well packaged, and seems good so far.
    Sparrows have been a wee bit absent recently and they're the ones who eat it most, but after a frost this morning, and cooler weather generally coming in, I'll probably fill a feeder up with the seed mix. Can't have my wee chums giving me a bad review on Chirp Advisor....
    😴😴😴
    Just looking at the place you use @Lyn, and the 20kg bag of s'flower hearts is 19 quid, so less than a pound a kg. H.B's is a fraction more at 13 quid for a 12.5kg bag. Pretty good though - and convenient for me. The place I used online is  slightly dearer so I might look at using your one  :)
    Haven't checked out the prices for seed mixes yet. It's often the lack of storage space which makes using the online outlets difficult for people, but it's so expensive if you're buying wee bags all the time.
    I have enough space here - especially if I do a bit more clearing in the shed  :D

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,920
    I use one of those plastic boxes to store feed in , the kids clamp on tight or else mice would get in there. 
    What I do like about Hopewell's, they use recycled cardboard boxes so you never know what you’ve got until you open it. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 999
    Lyn said:
    the kids clamp on tight or else mice would get in there. 

This conjured up a great picture in my mind!
    Lyn said:
    the kids clamp on tight or else mice would get in there. 

This conjured up a great picture in my mind!
     :D 
    If you leave them in the plastic bags, it's the slugs that get into them, no matter how tight you tie them up. 'Sunflower heart covered slugs' is probably a delicacy in some countries.
    I wonder if Heston Blumenthal ever reads this forum....