Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bird Seed

• Cheaper isn't always better unfortunately but it can get a bit pricey.  Haiths is a good supplier too - might be worth a look at their website.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,286
    The problem with buying cheap feed is that it has a lot of wheat and barley type grains that the birds won’t eat, however, rats will, so it’s false economy to skimp I think. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• B3B3 Posts: 11,541
    Ive been mixing no grow with other seeds. Ive noticed that they chuck them out. If they had no no choice, I suppose theyd eat them.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    They don’t though, if there’s nothing they like it just gets wet and mouldy.
    the finches and blue tits have cleared off now as they always do this time of the year so just sparrows at the moment.  There’s better food in the hedgerows, the trees are laden with berries. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,382
    I think George is getting a 'no mix' - he's just looking for the best price.

The people along from me use all the cheap crappy stuff. It's great - the pigeons and jackdaws spend all day there and leave the good stuff in my garden  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,427
    I have noticed this year that seed I have been buying for the last two years has suddenly started sprouting,  alot! I get it loose from the local feed merchant,  I have tried a different food but the birds ignored it only eating their regular stuff, even robin mix is ignored,  only sunflower hearts,  fat balls,  and crushed peanuts do they take extra.
    The food that goes down best here is the suet blocks I buy from Wilco, the cheapest I’ve seen and by far the best, they eat 1.5 to 2 blocks per day.  I use a squirrel proof fat ball holder, break the block in half, even the woodpecker gets his head in there. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,793
    Lyn said:
    I buy one bag of this every month, have used this company for a few years now. Next day free delivery, no grow seed and all gets eaten.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20Kg-Robin-and-Wild-Bird-Food-Mix-with-Sunflower-Hearts-Suet-Pellets-Mealworms/131315488683?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    Just ordered a bag . I'll be interested to see how the wee birdies like it. 
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,382
    I have noticed this year that seed I have been buying for the last two years has suddenly started sprouting,  alot! I get it loose from the local feed merchant,  I have tried a different food but the birds ignored it only eating their regular stuff, even robin mix is ignored,  only sunflower hearts,  fat balls,  and crushed peanuts do they take extra.
    I wonder if they're cutting costs a bit and adding a few bits of rubbish  :/

In 'ye olden days'  and pre internet,  I used to buy a standard robin mix, sunflower nibs, and pinhead oatmeal, and something welse which escapes my brain, and mix them myself. Our local Asda used to sell a really good robin mix, but I noticed recently that it looked a bit rubbish - defiinitely some other stuff in there. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I hope that Hopewells doesn’t go like that!The mixture does vary, I think they put in what grains they have in season. Sometimes more mealworms sometimes more suet chips.