Bird Seed

Hi all,

Just a quick question, where do you all get your bird feed, we use a heck of alot and have to buy some every two weeks.

As much as I love feeding the birds, it is hitting the wallet.

I have been paying £17.00 for 12.6kgs of no mess wont grow feed and getting the nuts from B & M for around £12.00.

anyone know anywhere that maybe a bit cheaper would be great ( p.s I have bought the cheaper general mixed feed, however there is a lot of wastage)

many thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,751
    Hi @George2019 - I use an online co. called Garden Wildlife Direct for the seed. I normally get a non mess type. You can get bigger sizes than the 12/13kg too. 
    If you have Home Bargains [similar to B&M] they have  sunflower hearts at a very good price. I'm about to get a new pack from them.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    Hi @George2019 - I use an online co. called Garden Wildlife Direct for the seed. I normally get a non mess type. You can get bigger sizes than the 12/13kg too. 
    If you have Home Bargains [similar to B&M] they have  sunflower hearts at a very good price. I'm about to get a new pack from them.  :)
    Thank you, I will take a look. I normally get everything else from B&M just not the bird seed, as they waste alot of it. The mix I buy now gets gobbled up with no waster 
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Just buy sunflower hearts. Everything eats them and they are cheap
    Thank you, I will take a look. I normally get everything else from B&M just not the bird seed, as they waste alot of it. The mix I buy now gets gobbled up with no waster 
    Yes - the no mess stuff is really good. I usually get a 'robin' type one, and all the blue, great and coal tits love it- and the sparrows of course. They chomp their way through loads of it  :)
    It does depend on the birds you get in your area too. The blackbirds eat lots of it as well. You still get the odd bit germinating, but it's not much of a problem to pull it out.
    I know @Lyn uses a good online company too. I'll see if I can find it, then you can compare  :)

Think it's this one Lyn uses -

https://www.thecornmill.com/

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,574
    I buy one bag of this every month, have used this company for a few years now. Next day free delivery, no grow seed and all gets eaten.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20Kg-Robin-and-Wild-Bird-Food-Mix-with-Sunflower-Hearts-Suet-Pellets-Mealworms/131315488683?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,658
    Just buy sunflower hearts. Everything eats them and they are cheap
    I do that to,so much other seed was wasted that it was a false economy to get it.
    I sometimes add in some peanut granules for variety!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 25,789
    I buy my no grow bird food from the corn mill mentioned by @Fairygirl. It is just round the corner from me so I can drive there and I pick up 40Kg each time I go. I also get mealworms and peanuts there.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
    Apologies @Lyn- I'm not sure why I thought it was that one I mentioned!
    Nice to see it's a good one though @Ladybird4. I must have found it when doing a search :)

There's free delivery on all these big places anyway, so it's even better if you don't have a car etc.

• George2019George2019 Posts: 33
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I will do a bit of digging around as I love feeding them and having so many wide varieties of birds, however it is hitting the pocket, so if I can find a cheaper options then the birds and I will be happy.